three things to consider for the Berget Crew.

Feedback e debriefings from Berget 7.
Touko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Touko » 01 Jul 2009, 23:38

Roska & Lagi: There is nothing wrong in wanting to shower during the event, as the smell in our tent on saturday morning proved. So, if some other players can enjoy their milsim while clean then good for them ;)

I think SRP:s Tiger Company (and possibly Dog Company too) wasn't expecting any luxuries to begin with, and since most of us had served in the Finnish Defence Force anyway, a few nights in a smelly tent was just a nostalgy trip, not inconvenience. I for one would probably have been disappointed by food stalls and showers... I know I was a bit disappointed by not having to wake up for guard duty during the night ;)
B7 - SRP / Tiger Coy / "Hammer" Plt / 2nd Sqd
B8 - Poldavian 1st Inf Batt / 1st Coy / 3rd "Hammer" Plt Ldr
B9 - The Firm / Zanzian Black Ops "N02"
B10 - Zansia / 2nd Coy / Echo Plt Ldr E9

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 01 Jul 2009, 23:40

Well, I have run events from 20-200 people, and I cant keep all them happy, so that is like trying not make the sun rise. It is not possible.
What is important is to try and adapt to the results of the year before. This year the lesson must be, if you plan on large scale roleplay you must warn people about it, and make sure all factions have an idea about the leve of roleplay and milsim required for that faction.
And then hope people actually belive you when you say "NATO will be a Milsim faction, following orders and staying within the chain of command will be required!"
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Parzi
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Parzi » 01 Jul 2009, 23:41

A tip to guys who want shower next year. In finland you can buy camping showers from basic sport shops. Its big black bag with a tube and shower. You hang it on a tree in the morning and it warms up in the sun and you can take a warm shower every day. Also you can choose your location and your buddies can cover you if there is a enemy threat. I didnt wash myself in the whole event but i did use some alcoholic towels.

Most of the SRP players did not wash on the event but its true that some people sneaked to the near by lake in the evening to wash :P

Like roska i have also been in the forests for 14-15 days and well you just get used to it just remember to wash your hands with alcoholic towels once in a while. Also a good thing to do is shave, less hair is better. By shaving i mean that you have to do more than a bald head :P

EDIT: When the game ended we went so swimminghall with my squad and took a shower with a buss load of russian players :oops:
Last edited by Parzi on 01 Jul 2009, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Berget 7 - SRP, SL
Berget 8 - Poldavia 1Inf, SL
Berget 9 - Zansian Black Ops, Command Squad
Berget 10 - Zansia Infantry Battalion Commander
Berget 11 - GCT SFODU Commander
Berget 12 - GCT Intelligence Unit Commander
Berget 13 - GCT Para Infantry Commander

Roska
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Roska » 01 Jul 2009, 23:41

Touko wrote:I for one would probably have been disappointed by food stalls and showers... I know I was a bit disappointed by not having to wake up for guard duty during the night ;)
Haha, I was fearing we'd get those until the last night.... :D

Oh the good times of having 11 hours of sleep during 7 day period... :/ I want more poterovartio... :D

Sebbe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sebbe » 01 Jul 2009, 23:45

@Tystnad:
Greedy? Why? Because the other teams didn't have a shower? Well, i didn't know that. And i feel bad for them, that can't make me greedy can it?
"But we went on xx days without showers in the army"
Yeah, but this is Airsoft, a hobby. I don't complain about showers when i go out with the Homeguard iether, but when i play Airsoft it's a whole diffrent matter, as it is this: A hobby.
I'm actually offended by the "greedy" comment.

Roska: You got my question wrong, but nevermind you kinda answered it alredy.

Last reply from me about the showers.
B7- NATO, Bravo Coy, 2'nd Platoon, 1'st Squad
Crapgame wrote:Put a sticker on it that says, "shoot me im with B5"

Roska
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Roska » 01 Jul 2009, 23:51

Just to continue this on a personal level, I would like to know why you consider it to be different from homeguard? I'm not saying you are wrong, it's just interesting to see different perspectives :)

I personally often see airsoft as a continuation for my service and as part of me being a reservist (and an active one). I went to berget because I felt it was a great opportunity for me to see how would I cope in more open situations than what the military has to offer (we often knew half a day early if there was going to be a fight or not). I also see these events as a chance to practice my camping skills and all these things as a part of me being reservist.

So that is where I am coming from as an airsofter and, well... luxury hater :D

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 01 Jul 2009, 23:52

Im former army, current National Guard, but I havent brought up that in the discussion. What bothers me is that your complaining on something that should be viewed as pure luxury. Have the organisers of any other AS-event youve been to ever provided showers at all? Or running water? As I said, I feel upset when someone complains on something that should be considered as pure luxury. Sort of like complaining on the food if you were invited to the Nobel dinner, just because it didnt suit you.
ODA-903 - Z312 http://www.oda903.se
B5 Sweden - Pt Co Alpha Tango
B6 NATO - Coy Co Bravo Company
B7 Medecins Sans Frontier, Anastesiologist

Touko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Touko » 01 Jul 2009, 23:54

Most of the problems with NATO behaviour seem to be in connection with Bashir City. I wasn't in the city until saturday morning, so I have to rely on what I've heard and read. However, here are my 2 cents:

NATO apparently didn't have a dedicated Military Police force at the BC? If there was one, I must have missed it somehow. An MP unit (with proper equipment and signs) would have made sense both from the event standpoint and strategically ingame for NATO.

It is afterall usual for armies to have such units to police their own troops. If there had been a MP precence, it could have allowed only limited amount of NATO:s into the city at time and kept reporting offending NATO players (who then wouldn't have gotten missions anywhere near BC since they couldn't be trusted with the civilians). Also: a dedicated MP unit works for this much better than front line units, since most units will consider MP-like duty a hindrance and want to see action. An MP mindset however is different: they see both the civilians and the NATO troops as some sort of threats and they know they have the duty and the authority to keep that threat in check.

Even if this wouldn't have worked that well, the effort would have been seen by the civilians, who would have seen the bad behaving minority was in fact just that - a minority. This could have won over the hearts and minds of the civilians, or at least softened the negative impact.

So, my 2 cents. And if im wrong, please keep in mind I wasn't in Bashir City until Saturday ;)

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 01 Jul 2009, 23:56

There were MP units in or around BC most of the time.

Touko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Touko » 02 Jul 2009, 00:03

Were the MP:s just regular NATO guys randomly chosen for that duty, or were they a force that was briefed differently and had actually volunteered and possibly trained? Did they have MP armbands and MP authority over NATO troops? Did it work at all?

I wish I had seen Bashir City earlier... Until friday night I was afraid I wouldn't see it at all!

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 02 Jul 2009, 00:10

The MP's were the Norwegians, in full MP gear with armbands, lodrag kits and a MP-van. They were volounteers for the roles, and knowing a couple of them since before, they are knowing in the ways of a MP and really good at it. Too bad they had to leave the city from time to time, since they really helped with the stability when they were there (from my POV as both civilian and parttime NATO SF).

Roska
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Roska » 02 Jul 2009, 00:47

Hmm, I wonder if I should join next Berget on NATO side as a finnish MP.... ;D

Could use the hard earned skills of mine... :D

LukeAR
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by LukeAR » 02 Jul 2009, 01:27

I'd like to share with you my lowest point in the Berget 7 game and make it as a reccommendation to the BE crew:

on the 3rd night the NATO India coy got a split mission:
a. destroy mine south of bashir city with "C4"
b. aid evacuation of civilian pop. from Bashir city

we were not informed of the SRP/Tigers/Mercs shindig going on in bashir wich brought up the number of players there to 700~.
during that time a rouge part of NATO forces started storming bashir which brought out the forces and so India on the south and Fox on the north got into heavy firefights with all the bashir city forces.

after a while - Game trustees started to shout for a cease-fire and round up NATO forces.

at 2:00 am i was on my way back to bashir city from the lodge respawn, and upon arrival to india forces me and 2 of my team mates were encountered by a Nato guy with orange safety jacket saying "Get out of your hideout or you WILL be banned from berget for life", and we asked him for the reason which we didn't get at all.

on the other hand i saw ALOT of ingame players using a YELLOW VEST as their -deadrag-.

all in all it was a long night as the explenations went on but i wish to tell this to BE crew:

1. Make sure ALL trustees are carying their YELLOW VESTS and trustee card.
2. Make sure NO other players have YELLOW VESTS.
3. When stopping the game in an off-game way - explain the troops why the off-game and don't just threat banning or such sanctions.
4. Ordering back troops to cease attack should be made by INGAME props or ways (I Actually thought that the "Cpt. norman shouting" part is a scheme to get us out of the woods byt he enemy). This should be done by bringing direct orders down the chain of command to cease fire and return to base! stopping forces off-game makes people unhappy and makes the game look disorganised.

All-in-all i had much fun in berget 7 but this incident was a blemish on the fun which made me consider leaving the game area that night (until finally getting some sort of explanation after 2 hours by the NATO trustees).

Finally i don't know if all of NATO were conveened as we got pormised by trustees to explain what has occoured that night - because i was out fighting the next day - but i sure didn't get the promissed apology.
Berget 9 - NAF 3rd Rangers.
Berget 8 - NAF 5th Infantry.
Berget 7 - NATO, INDIA 2-2 comms NCO.

Talisman
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Talisman » 02 Jul 2009, 01:51

Im gonna jump on this train here.

1. I was in Oscar 1 Delta, and the only time we saw action was when we where a QRF late some nights.
Our missions was only guarding places (NATO camp,Bashir, himmelberget, Miners Hut and some roadblocks). On the Friday, we sat at the same spot for 6 hours with 4 others squads. The closest we got to some shooting that day was a Blue-on-Blue french guy testing his weapon.
And when we finaly got back to the base, we were to wait 3-4 hours for our next mission.
I mean, come on. Berget and HQ can do better than this?
This was basicly my berget excperience.

2.The reason NATO started to shoot in BC on Friday was that there were information that a NATO soldier were kept prisoner. So we were a group of 15 trying to get to the prisoner, but we got shot down fast by the civs and Yuris.
So after spawn I hooked up with India 5 and we did a search and destroy on a car before we called in that Bashir City was hostile. People probably started shooting because there were SRP, Yuris and hostile civs all over the place.

3. The NATO base defence was terrible. Get some more men on the posts, and try to change them often.

4. Chopper was a waste of money

5. Please give some of the infantry some AT4's. I only saw At4s with the mecenaized troops. They also seemed to get the best missions.

6. Try to devide up the transports to all platoons.

7. The end (Off-game) was terrible and confusing.

8. When a squad/platoon is having a shity day with some shity missions, give them something. Dont just give them a speech.
Strand

"A suspicious mind is a healthy mind"
"He who stands with me shall be my brother"

Berget 7 - NATO, OSCAR 1, DELTA (5)
Berget 9 - Pol. 3rd Montaineers, Recon, 5-2

55nilsson
Corporal
Corporal

Uniforms!

Post by 55nilsson » 02 Jul 2009, 11:30

One thing that bothers me are the complete lack of respect for the uniform-rules by some players.

I even pointed this out to people playing Orlovs. Who were in for example in full CADPAT, full Danish M84 , and Full Flecktarn. Their answer: It´s ok by Berget Events... And they were not special forces.
The rule says: "Uniform: : Russian or Soviet style (Some special troops may use western cammo)"

SRP: The rules says: "Uniform: OD uniform only" There is a picture in the thanks-thread were half the SRPsquad are in brown...

MILO: I had very little contact with those guys, so can´t really say anything about their uniforms.

NATO: There were a few cases of mixed camo and some PMC looking people.

I would like to see a much tighter uniform-rule. For example:
Team 1: U.S Woodland
Team 2: OD
Team 3: Desert + Multicam + ACU
Team 4: Russian uniform

All teams ONLY full uniform, NO mixing. Considering people spend hundreds of Euros maybe thousands, to be part of this game buying the correct uniform for around 50 euros isn´t that much to ask!!
And if being found in the wrong camo, you should be considered dead and return to base to change into the right uniform.