30%

Total votes: 10

Geten
Newbee
Newbee

Sniper upgrade.

Post by Geten » 16 Feb 2009, 21:45

Someone who have upgraded their sniper?
Something like a M24 Socom with a 380% spring or something like that?
Is it hard to reload?
And do you realy have to upgrade you sniper that much to be a good sniper at berget?
I tried to upgrade my L96 with a 380%, but it broke.
It's realy, realy hard to reload though.

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 17 Feb 2009, 01:29

Why are you posting the same questions all over the forum?

Ive used everything from M120 to M170-ish in my VSR; it held up nicely until I played with it in below -10C. However, Ive never experienced any problems with a heavy reloading routine, mainly because Ive upgraded the internals to accomodate the heavier springs.

BUT, from experience, I know I can make do with around M130 (300%) without a problem. All it takes is being a "better sniper", and I dont really play sniper for those one-shot-kills, but for the main purpose of a sniper; scouting and observing.

I dont really get the whole hooha around overtuning the guns, since it isnt at all necessary to get the most out of them. Especially not in a beginners hands.

Talisman
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Talisman » 17 Feb 2009, 02:16

Main objectiv for a sniper:
- Scouting ahead for the frontline.
- Observing enemy activits.
With other word: Information gathering.
Snipers are mainly trained for survival and concealment for many days. Shooting is just a little part of the traning.

In the end, it is not about how far away you are taking the shot. It is accuarcy and concealment that makes the prefect one-shot,one-kill.

If you are good enough concealed and if you are calm enough, you can take out a squad from a 10m distance without a problem.
Strand

"A suspicious mind is a healthy mind"
"He who stands with me shall be my brother"

Berget 7 - NATO, OSCAR 1, DELTA (5)
Berget 9 - Pol. 3rd Montaineers, Recon, 5-2

conger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by conger » 09 Apr 2009, 18:09

This is a long standing question, there are valid points on both sides.

Extra range is great, noise is not, cost is a consideration and accuracy management is a dark art at the best of times.

Upgrade topics often forget the other sides of the discussion ... I think.

Fieldcraft, gun maintenance, player style and characteristics and so on, all must be considered at the same time as upgrades. To talk about one and not the others is not the best approach in the opinion of this marine! [as Cpl Person would say "Generation Kill" ]

There is nothing wrong with upgrading your gun as long as you remain safe and legal, but alone, upgrading won't provide you with the ultimate package.

I've upgraded 'cos I initially thought it made sense, and after the third time I was out-played [not out gunned] by my good friend and fellow VSR [stock] user, I realised that whilst my VSR is very good [my opinion]... my fieldcraft was not up to the standard of my gun ..... Go do something about it was my thought!

Good hunting

This reply supports the discussion and encourages dialogue
B7 NATO Foxtrott 2:2 Squad Leader
Keep it slow and silent but when in contact, loud and violent!

wingsofwrath
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wingsofwrath » 28 May 2009, 02:17

I know this could be considered necro-posting, but I just had to get my two cents in on this old aged debate, because it's a really interesting subject.

In my opinion, the decision of wherever to upgrade your sniper rifle should be dictated by your style of play and only by that. There are folks who are superb shots and consistently get confirmed kills at insane ranges, and there are those who like to rely on their stealth and camouflage skills to get within striking distance of a target.

I won't hide you that I am a firm supporter of the second approach, with most of my shots being fired between 20 and 40 meters, well in range of even stock AEGs, though I rarely suffered return fire as a result.

As a gun I use a lightly modified BAR 10, with an 120m/s spring, Firefly soft hop-up rubber and a Tanio Koba Hop Twist barrel (I used to have a Marui VSR barrel installed that even though was not classified as a tightbore, nonetheless gave me consistent 1.5cm grouping at 10 m and the ability to hit a torso at well over 50, but I changed it to the Koba because of the latter's flatter trajectory).

This whole setup might lack punch, but while I do get only an average range, in stark contrast, the accuracy is very good and the stealthiness is simply superb, even without cylinder dampers. Not only that, but I get the added bonus of being allowed to engage targets at ranges where most snipers would have been forced to change to their secondaries, a very useful characteristic especially in urban environments...

And speaking of which - my secondary is a completely stock Marui Glock 18C AEP, with a muzzle velocity of 90m/s. Amazingly, the range is pretty good, and in any case I need it for clearing out rooms (funny story, I managed to clear a room of 5 of my team-mates once, in what can only be described as an "Epic Teamkill") and for situations where the manure has already hit the rotor... (the full auto setting comes in handy for that)

Since most snipers I know have their setups around 150m/s and have as their secondaries high-powered GBBs in excess of 110m/s, I was often a target of ridicule, but the truth is I like my gear just as it is and I wouldn't change it, since it really suits the way I play.

Unfortunately, there are many newbies (and especially sniper wannabees) that upgrade their rifles before even setting foot on the field, in the misguided conceptions that a more powerful gun would somehow transform them into better snipers.

After all, what good does a replica upgraded to XYZ m/s serve you if you are unable to hit the target because you hardly know how to hold it properly in your hand? (a fact that really bugs me - a lot of airsoft players hold their weapons above their shoulder, in a position that would result in their gun sliding off and hitting them because of the recoil were it a real firearm, especially a high powered rifle like 7.62X54R, 7,62X51 or 7,92X57)
Not to mention the fact that if the enemy can hear you coming from a mile away, not even the best gun can save you from a clever ambush...

Ending my overlong diatribe, my advice to beginners is this:
Fight with your weapon in stock condition for a few months. Yes, at first you will die a lot, but at least it will teach you the value of patience, standing still and moving stealthily (in my opinion the most important things a sniper must learn) and maybe in the end you won't need a highly upgraded gun after all...

Geboren
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Geboren » 28 May 2009, 10:38

Go to fitness dude. 8)
http://www.oda541.com

B7 NATO Foxtrot 2 platoon leader
B8 NATO Foxtrott
B10 POL 3d Mountaineers 3d Coy, 1st Plt Leader
B11 Blood Ravens Recon Platoon Leader

wingsofwrath
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wingsofwrath » 28 May 2009, 16:39

Sorry, I'm afraid you lost me there...

Geboren
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Geboren » 28 May 2009, 21:00

wingsofwrath wrote:Sorry, I'm afraid you lost me there...
Was talking to Geten who complains that it's hard to reload :wink:
http://www.oda541.com

B7 NATO Foxtrot 2 platoon leader
B8 NATO Foxtrott
B10 POL 3d Mountaineers 3d Coy, 1st Plt Leader
B11 Blood Ravens Recon Platoon Leader

wingsofwrath
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wingsofwrath » 28 May 2009, 22:09

Ah, I see! :P