Berget Radios

Discuss about all kinds of radio`s sutable for airsoft games.
kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Berget Radios

Post by kjsaw » 09 Oct 2008, 16:04

Does anyone remember the type of connector the berget issued radios used for headset/mics?
B4 >>> B17
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 14 Oct 2008, 10:57

If Im not mistaken; Kenwood 2-pin. Either that, or the Motorola 2-pin.

Thinker
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thinker » 20 Oct 2008, 02:53

It was Kenwood 2 pin on the ones at the Mercs side.
This space intentionally left blank

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 20 Oct 2008, 10:34

Thanks for the info guys, going to build a dual PTT for next year.
B4 >>> B17

Thinker
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thinker » 20 Oct 2008, 17:18

I play with a dual PTT monophone, (custom modified) and its handy if you need to operate two radios. I recommend not to mix the outputs though, better to have one radio output to each ear, way much easier to mentally seperate the radio chatter. Have everything in the same ear and you most likely will press the wrong PTT button.

If you mix the signal from the mic in your headset to each radio, you can get a lot of problems with low signals from the mic in a kenwood konfiguration system, so use two seperate microphone elements.

It is quite simple to make a dual system monophone though.

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 20 Oct 2008, 18:53

Thinker wrote:I play with a dual PTT monophone, (custom modified) and its handy if you need to operate two radios. I recommend not to mix the outputs though, better to have one radio output to each ear, way much easier to mentally seperate the radio chatter. Have everything in the same ear and you most likely will press the wrong PTT button.

If you mix the signal from the mic in your headset to each radio, you can get a lot of problems with low signals from the mic in a kenwood konfiguration system, so use two seperate microphone elements.

It is quite simple to make a dual system monophone though.
Yes it is simple. I'll be building it based on:

I will be using a mixer circuit as it will be based on a TCI headset it will be to a single output. For the mic input, there should be no need for a second mike, as the circuit I will use exposes the mic to each radio as if the second circuit does not exist and mill match the impedance the radio expects. The only problem I should experience would be if I tried to transmit on both at the same time.

If you saw "low signals" it may be that each radio was rated for different level of impedance in the mic?
B4 >>> B17

RRP Taksi
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by RRP Taksi » 21 Oct 2008, 01:45

Crapp, to advanced. Ill just bring a shitload of fishermans friend and shout across the hills.. :shock:
Mmh..

B10 PL.CO 15S,2PL
B4-5-6-7-9 PL/CC (FFF/SRP command foreign and Swed) contact.
OPCR2-3

Thinker
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thinker » 21 Oct 2008, 02:50

kjsaw,
You seem to have it planed out. The reason that you can get low signals is that unlike many simpler radio connections like Icom, 1pin and so forth 2 pin kenwood connection seperate the mic from the PTT button, same earth, separate signals, so if both radios are directly connected to the same mic, without electronics to separet them, they both will feed it with power and draw signal from it, no matter if a button is pressed or not. And they basically mess the signal up for eachother. You might know this, many other wont. I write as much as for you as for everyone else interested.

If you use double mic elements (easy in a monophone, not in a headset), seperating electronics like you intend to do or dual switch PTT buttons you can get by the problem.

Personally since I prefer monophones anyway, I took the dual mic element path. KISS principle (and I can talk in both radios at the same time).

You have probably thought about it, but if your going to mix the signals a simple resistor mixer is quite enough for the output, have used it and it works very well unless you need maximum sound power output.

If you can, mount a "mute switch" on the least prioritised radio, there will most likely be situations where there is chatter on both radios at the same time and you really need to hear only one. With a mute switch, you can mute the least prioritised. Might not be the one you need to hear but it wont hurt. Even with chatter in different ears, I sometimes have to take a earpiece out to hear important info. Remember that you might hear chatter from a firefight some distance away and it interfere with the chatter you need to hear where you are.

I have often had squadcom in left ear, HQ plus scanner mixed in right ear. So if its a firefight with a lot of chatter in squad, between HQ and squads and you have the close by enemy chatting, while your trying to sort it all out and still be in the firefight.... it can be confusing so I have some good and bad experience with taking in a lot at once in Airsoft. :D

During B6 there was times when I had to man Conrad base radios, and at one time I was at 4 different channels at the same time, not really a problem until there is three people that need to talk to you at the same time, on different channels and everyone think theyre the most important, and your on the mobile phone relaying orders from the General via radio to company commanders in the field. And people shows up and expect you to give them orders since your in HQ tent and theyre bored, although your really just a private. :?
Last edited by Thinker on 22 Oct 2008, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 21 Oct 2008, 09:42

Thinker wrote: If you can, mount a "mute switch" on the least prioritised radio, there will most likely be situations where there is chatter on both radios at the same time and you really need to here only one. With a mute switch, you can mute the least prioritised. Might not be the one you need to hear but it wont hurt. Even with chatter in different ears, I sometimes have to take a earpiece out to here important info. Remember that you might here chatter from a firefight some distance away and it interfere with the chatter you need to here where you are.
Not a bad idea. Of the two circuits I have thought about using, One of them functions such that any signal on the master channel will block the signal on the secondary channel. I just have to choose who I care about hearing most.

Fortunately that nexus PTT box has enough space in it to get creative.
B4 >>> B17

SWATTELAPESCA-UFO
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SWATTELAPESCA-UFO » 24 Nov 2008, 16:29

It's my first Berget, so I don't know how head quarter work, but as former radiocommunications assigned during enlistment (in artillery) I suggest to task one man to radio communications.
However, in surplus radio market you can find a laringophone headset Telefunken with switch beetwen radio and intercom (such as those used in tanks) easy to adapt to the impedance of two radio that you want to use.
In this way you can only transmit on one radio at time, so if you add a double switch (to transmit on both radio) and this simple pre-amplifier you can solve the problem.
I do not have the truth in my pocket, but neither you!

www.navyseal.it ________________________
B7 - NATO - Lima Coy - Sierra 7 - Support

Thinker
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thinker » 24 Nov 2008, 19:24

Classic biggame problem: Tasking people to do stuff.

Really hard to find people that want to handle base tasks like command and radios after having traveling a long way, having paid for ticket and the travel, and taken time off from work. People want to play airsoft, look cool, talk to people and be in firefights. Really hard to find someone wanting to take duty guarding radios and similar stuff.

But you appear to have experience so I guess you will do it, right? :D

Sebbe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sebbe » 24 Nov 2008, 20:01

@Thinker: That is highly personal in my opinion, some pepole act and play like they would fit better in a counterstrike tournament while some others fit the commanding role like my hand in a size 8 glove. :P

Edit: I just noticed you said "Really hard" and not "Impossible".. hehe :oops:
B7- NATO, Bravo Coy, 2'nd Platoon, 1'st Squad
Crapgame wrote:Put a sticker on it that says, "shoot me im with B5"

SWATTELAPESCA-UFO
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SWATTELAPESCA-UFO » 24 Nov 2008, 20:09

My english is not so perfect to employe me as radio-man!
I speak a little english and french, but in firefight situations communication can be very garbled in native language ... mind in foreign!
But if I can contribute in some way are nicely available for NATO team.
I do not have the truth in my pocket, but neither you!

www.navyseal.it ________________________
B7 - NATO - Lima Coy - Sierra 7 - Support

BRITISH-
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BRITISH- » 25 Nov 2008, 11:01

I may be able to help here, I'm English but I live in Italy and speak fluent Italian, seeing as it looks like there will be about 100 Italian players (the most part playing with Nato) I could be of some use for communication??

rope
Newbee
Newbee

Post by rope » 16 Mar 2010, 11:35

BRITISH- wrote:I may be able to help here, I'm English but I live in Italy and speak fluent Italian, seeing as it looks like there will be about 100 Italian players (the most part playing with Nato) I could be of some use for communication??
hi! there is about 100 NAF Italian players and about 60 on Poldavian side.
People who speak 2 or 3 languages fluently (like you or some other players - I speak Italian and Croatian like mother language and some English) are so useful but you want to stay close to the radio all the time???
Of course if I need to translate something to help somebody I'll do it (I think everybody will do it) but I am at Berget to play softair...

what you think to find some Wind Talkers???
Romeo Oscar Park Echo - over and out