UV-5R Antennas

Discuss about all kinds of radio`s sutable for airsoft games.
Switchback
Corporal
Corporal

UV-5R Antennas

Post by Switchback » 06 May 2015, 02:19

So i'm finalizing my packing list for Berget 13, and one question I've still got is how good is the stock antenna on the UV-5R? Whats the range like in the wooded areas? I realize I can search all the specs online, but practical application is always different than stated specifications.

Mainly we are just using the UV-5Rs for internal squad comms, as well as emergencies. Normally I also have the command channels plugged into memory for just in case things go sideways mission wise and someone needs to radio something in. (Which happens a lot, at least here in the US at big Operations)

Thanks!
B13: GCT 1st Infantry, Sappers and Engineers [Sierra 3]
B15: UPIR PsyOps
B16: NAF Mechanized [Golf 1]
B18: Wait and Find Out ;)

AVIA
Corporal
Corporal

Re: UV-5R Antennas

Post by AVIA » 07 May 2015, 00:15

Stick with the stock antenna if unit comms is what you need.

If you wan't to improved your reach (not a whole lot though), go for something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nagoya-NA-771-V ... 1c40d0f231

Biggest problem at games like Berget, is usually the landscape anyways. Mountains, hills, trees and rain blocking your signal. Only way around those obstacles are moving your A** to higher ground :)
B16 - NAF - Rangers Recon
B15 - FINBAT - Sniper Recon
B14 - NAF - Sniper Recon
B13 - GCT - Sniper Recon
B12 - GCT - Sniper Recon
B11 - GCT - Sniper Recon
B10 - Poldavia Inf
B9 - Poldavia Inf

JKangas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: UV-5R Antennas

Post by JKangas » 07 May 2015, 14:34

Stick with stock, or even get a worse antenna if unit comms is strictly what you want. By day two you are sick of radio chatter and less sensitive radio starts to be an asset. I actually got a crappy stub antenna for my Wouxun as stock one (pretty much like the one linked above) was bit clumsy and getting stuck, and I needed range of perhaps 200-300 meters max.

Range on (legal) PMR channels is rarely limited by distance or even terrain, but rather by hundreds of other guys crowding the same eight channels. Dunno about command channels. FUBAR situations are perhaps better handled via mobile phones (+pre-paids if you need it).
B8: 1st Poldavian, 1st Coy, Fox Sq. 3
B9: The Firm, Zansian Sq. K, Pizza Delivery Guy
B10: Zansian 1st Coy, Alpha Pl, 1st Sq.
B11: Raven Guerilla Mursu Coy, Alpha Pl, Alpha Sq.
B13: Ikaros Mursu Coy, 1st Pl, 1st Sq. "Front Squat - Etukyykky"
B15: NAF FINBAT Air Cav, Fox 3 Pl.