M-14 vs L85A1

Feel free to talk about things regarding airsoft.
Renshai
Private
Private

M-14 vs L85A1

Post by Renshai » 09 Nov 2006, 15:51

I'm deciding whether or not to buy an airsoft M14, or whether to go with an L85A1. However, I don't know anyone who has one, and I couldn't find any good reviews on either. And, beyond that, the reviews I did find sited differences in quality between TM and G&G, etc.

So, I figured since probably more than 500 players check this site regularly, I'd ask around.

Here's what I'm trying to decide on:

Which has longer range?
Which has a better quality gearbox, and is either easily upgradable?
If anyone has played with either or both, what is their durability like? Would you recommend getting a different body if I'm able to?
Can I get a metal body for the L85?
As far as installing standard upgrades (e.g. spring, gears, etc.) which are typically universal, how easy are they to install in either?
What brand name (TM, G&G, etc.) would you suggest for either one?

Give me your input; I have some time, but I'd like to know. Thanks.
Fight or die. Either way, you lose.

Brujo

Post by Brujo » 09 Nov 2006, 16:23

Hey...
I have tested and repaired both AEG's... here are the answers:

Which has longer range?
- depends on upgrade, but in stock version Star L85 has more fps thus longer range. TM M-14 however sports a really good hopup unit.
Which has a better quality gearbox, and is either easily upgradable?
- Marui M14 features by far best gearbox upgrade-wise and Guarder upgrades are of high quality. Also TM M14 hopup unit is superior in my personal opinion.
If anyone has played with either or both, what is their durability like?
- TM is a classic, will run 2 years (every weekend) if not upgraded and well maintanied. STAR L85 also runs well, I have seen one tappet plate break on one of ours. GG L85 I have no experience with. GG M14 has very inexact gearbox and crappy electric switch.
Would you recommend getting a different body if I'm able to?
- With L85 you need no other body, I think pressed metal sheet is the best possible solution for a replica. M-14 plastic is somehow cheap looking and feeling, so if you manage to upgrade it with wood that would be something.
Can I get a metal body for the L85?
- STAR L85 is all metal apart from green parts
As far as installing standard upgrades (e.g. spring, gears, etc.) which are typically universal, how easy are they to install in either?
- I am convinced that Guarder has beaten Systema and Prometheus in aftermarket parts quality (personal experience, don't start flaming on this), apart from gears. Guarder gears are OK and hold well at 400 fps, but my choice would be Prometheus.
What brand name (TM, G&G, etc.) would you suggest for either one?
- TM for M14 and Star for L85, and you will have LESS trouble if you decide for TM M14.

And I am NOT one of those "I hate G&G!!!" people, I currently use G&G GR300L and since I replaced everything but gearbox shell it works perfectly for over a year. In fact I really like G&G! :lol:

Torak

Post by Torak » 10 Nov 2006, 12:42

From what I've seen of the G&G L85 it's a pretty nice little beast. My own L85 is from Star, and it's magnificent. Big and hefty, feels just like the real thing, and solid as a very solid thing. I've had no trouble at all with it.

Giersu

Post by Giersu » 10 Nov 2006, 19:47

As for G&G's L85 - it's very unreliable. It looks nice, perhaps even nicer than Star, but that's it.
Blowback gets broken after 100 shots or so, followed by the cocking lever. A buddy of mine is still swearing that he tried to spare some money by byuing G&G instead of Star - because of constant repair needs it becomes actually more expensive than the latter.

No wonder G&G decided to make A1 version instead of A2. At least they can tell now, that it was intented to be crappy, just to be as accurate replica as possible ;o)

Lurch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Lurch » 07 Apr 2007, 19:40

L85 is better :x
let the power of airsoft compel you

WickedBassie

Post by WickedBassie » 16 May 2007, 08:29

How to fix a G&G L85A1:

Split top and bottom receiver, remove the most rear screw of the top half of the gearbox, and remove the blowback mechanism by sliding and lifting it. Put the screw back in.

Open the lower half of the gearbox, take out the sector gear, and grind, cut, chew (or use whatever method you like) the last two teeth off. (not the fat one, that´s the first :) )

Put your gun back together, and you are done! No costs, and a reliable gun. You may want to change your spring afterwards because FPS is likely to drop a bit. Mine runs fine now.

And I will not be responsible for your actions or these instructions. 8)