3rd Mountaineers Recon -AAR and debrief

Feedback and debriefings from Berget 9
Rhyn0
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

3rd Mountaineers Recon -AAR and debrief

Post by Rhyn0 » 08 Jul 2011, 02:36

First of all, thanks to BE for another excellent event. It was our 3rd Berget and the best one yet. Thanks to Kjsaw, Mixmaster, Spin_t, Motorhead, Lokke and all the guys who put in the extra effort and headache to get the Poldavian warmachine rolling and special thanks to Tiger_1, out Bat CO who gave Recon the free leash it needed to operate succesfully, and led the 3rd to victory.

Recon , you did an OUTSTANDIG job, and you all should be proud of yourselves. I did not get the chance to talk to all of you after the game, so i take this opportunity to thank you for walking that extra mile, keeping your finger off the trigger and on the radio even if it itched so bad to fire, and being in the field when most of the others were sleeping. Know that your effort played an important part in the Poldavian military victory that Berget 9 was. I will happily serve with any of you again, and would have you watch my back in the field over any other. Never Quit is our motto and that is what we did, we turned back the tide against 3 factions when noone expected us to be able to do so.

Thrasher, Gimli, Malcolm and Croc, thanks for stepping up and leading your squads, you guys were great. The nature of our missions was such that i didn't get to command much more than designate ROE and areas of responsability, but it was great hearing your reports on the net, or relaying them when i could and hearing on the other end "keep up the good job". I hope to see you in Recon next year as well.

Now a short AAR from Romeo 1 squad:
-Day 1:
R1 and 2 cut across Speksta, reoported on enemy activity allready near the bunker ( airborne?) and kept pressing on. Set up OP on Himmelsberget R1 observing Janco and the roads leadin to Construction site and R2 the UN base.
Had UN fight "civilian bandits" right over our heads, we didn;t get spotted. Later we met up with sq 5, tried to link up with Tiger_1 at construction site to evac together, but met up isolated NAF elements on the way, mopped them up, then proceeded to Construction only to find more NAF. Mopped those up too, then broke contact and evac-ed to Bunker. Some of us took transport to base, a couple stayed cuz there was not enough room, and ended up saving Tiger_1 and some other guys when their transport got ambushed.
-Day 2: Romeo 1 had an epic 10 hour mission in the south of the map, trying to find the Firm base, suspected to be in the old SRP camp from B7, and determine if they had the sattelite parts.
-took the road south of the base; down by the lake we spotted a NAF mech platoon. Ambushed them, killed 6, lost 1( bled out) and laughed when we heard them call for a retreat because "we were too many"
- relocated 300 meters down the road, took up ambush positions, waiting for our scout to come back from respawn. 2 vans crammed full of Firm stopped right on top of us, unloaded and they started to spread into the bushes on the side of the road. Tried to let them pass ( they were 30+) but they climbed right on top of us. When they finally spotted me 5 meters away, one of them raised his weapon, and then all hell broke loose. We took down between 8 and 20 ( reports vary :D) in the first 2 minutes, with 1 wounded for us. The called for a cease fire and started BS-ins us about being civvies. Knowing that a prolonged firefight was sure death ( my Aeg stripped the piston as well) i ordered them into the road and allowed to heal their wounded, reported to HQ, and then went into the middle of the road and RP-ed with them for 10 tense minutes before finally bluffing them into turning back( awesome moment).
- stopped for lunch in a nice little forrest by the lake
-got to the objective, confirmed it empty, received orders to RTB ( we had been 6+ hrs in the field by then we had no ideea that FIRM + UN had joined NAF and had pushed us back into base. Decided to return via JANCO and recon some more.
-Met up with Romeo 3 who had been unable to reach their OP near naf base to releave Romeo 2 who had been there all day.
-Got engaged by a lone sniper.. we were hunting them down, either side of the road leading from western roadblock to Janco, when i spotted a HUGE naf Column heading straight for us (150+).. we got into position, hoped to let their scout by and ambush their main column but they had a capable scout who smelled something and came right on top of us. I took him out with my sidearm and then shit hit the fan real bad for us.. still we had excellent cover and they were out in the road so we gave everything we had and then some until we were pinned, then flanked and finally taken out. Still the sounds of NAF dying to blue on blue all around us and the large number of wounded we had caused by direct fire was immensly satisfying. I narrowly escaped capture when an overeager buddy of mine serving with NAF knifekilled me before they could heal me. RTB-ed and saw the Firm now with naf armbands holding our TP and SP and realised things were bad.

Day 3- rainy day.. we started late, 5 of us ( one decided to rest so he could be fit for last day), skirted past fighting and enemy patrols and ended up oh Himmelsberget, over Janco, which was crawling with NAF. Ambushed 2 patrols there, taking them out with no losses, then setup OP and reported on enemy movenemts in the area.
We then got walked on almost by a larger NAF platoon which we ambushed, and then drove back with heavy casualties, but soon we were flanked by UN reinforcements coming from Janco and then taken out one by one. I was the last to go, holed up by a rock, in some grass, while UN troops were 5 meters away. i was then captured, searched( they were surprised when i stood up and said, "go ahead and search me" when they told me they were "officially searching me", probably noone submitted to a real search before), and luckily i was knifekilled again before they realised i was platoon leader and they wanted to interrogate me..
We RTB-ed, and then one of our guys led Mech infantry on a sortie, then joined them for the raid on NAF base, the one where they parked in the middle of it :D

Last day:
-Assembled at 8, went out at 8:30. Romeo 1 and 2 climbed speckstaberget again, recaptured Degas respawn, then moved onto Himmelsberget.
Witnessed ( and filmed) a hillarious moment where the russains had captured a UN Sl i think, and were shouting on the megafone for un to drop the weapons or they would kill him. they ended up knifekilling him. Moved on towards western roadblock to provide advance warning for our mainforce. Ambused some isolated NAF on the way.
Reached the hill near Western roadblock and the radio tower there, setup positions. Reported on NAF mechanised moving on Janco ( 7+3 vehicles) and heard later they were ambushed and taken care of. we then spotted a 100 infantry column with 1 TGB and another vehicle moving slowly towards Janco. Again we couldn't believe our luck as they stopped right in front of our grenadier's kill zone. After 3 tries ( BAVS still needs work) he managed to land a solid hit on the TGB i think, causing mas panic and confusion when the siren went off.. the whole column started mowing down trees ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE, and then we got the hell out of there, running uphill. They tried chasing but soon gave up..We later heard that the colum was still stopped and disorganised when 1st company tore them a new one. We then proceeded to Western roadblock and helped some Poldavian Mech hold it through some heavy fighting and a shitload of Artillery until a special charge was brought that took out the bunker for good.

It was 14:20 allready, so we decided to go out with a bang, went out and attacked the NAF base..

In summary, we did a whole lot of walking, climbing and sneaking, and more shooting than a recon squad should. It was a gerat Berget for us, and i hope to see you guys next year for Berget 10.

PS: you can find videos from AA team Romeo 1 on my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Rhyn012345?feature=mhum including the final speech and briefing on the last day.
B7- Milo's Tigers, Sq.L
B8- 15th Pold. Psyops, "Bash", Coy Cmdr.
B9- Pold. 3rd, Recon plt. ldr
B10- Pold. Force Recon "Odin's Ravens" Cmmdr
B11- HVIU Operative/Guyana Border Police(Cpt. Garcea)
B12- GCT Rangers-Engineer
B13- GCT Paras Engineer/AT guy
B14- NAF Fathom Grunt/AT guy

Trasher-HU
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trasher-HU » 09 Jul 2011, 14:57

Romeo-2 , after action report:

Day 1 - With R1 leading, R2 pushed through Speckstaberget to grid location Hotel 15 to report enemy activity around bunker, then force marched up to Himmelsberget. Evading enemy patrols, R2 observed UN base for about 2 hrs and took photos. While scouting for possible infiltration routes to the installation, R2 ambushed a NAF pointman, then left the observation post to avoid further exposure. R2 rejoined R1 then they moved toward India 15 to report activity in the area. The two recon units spotted and repelled NAF forces advancing on Construction site then proceeded back to crossroads where R2 was transported back to HQ. R2 suffered no casulties or injuries.

http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6369_std.jpg
http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6362_std.jpg
http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6409_std.jpg

Day 2 – After 9AM, R2 was dropped off at Lima 2 by TGB combat vehicle for a 12 hour observation mission. Squad was split to two elements at India 1. Element-Alpha (3 operators) moved to Delta 1, built a hide near the intersection and started reporting mechanized NAF activity. Element-Bravo (4 operators) hiked up to Brantberget with heavy load, set up an OP at Hotel 6 then sent out 2-man teams (in 2-3 hour shifts) for close observation of infantry units entering or leaving NAF HQ. Both elements reported to Batt.CO and also provided direct intel to Poldavian 5th. Infantry units probing NAF defenses. After 9PM Element Bravo left the observation post and joined Element Alpha at the intersection. After a 90 minute hike R2 was safely back to HQ with no casulties.

http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6449_std.jpg
http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6456_std.jpg

Day 3 – R2 was tasked to recon locations of importance between Eastern Roadblock and NAF HQ and also to set up an ambushes in area. South to Janco City operator „Shadow” (3rd Mtn. recon, squad no. classified) joins R2 after his squad was dispersed by Firm personnel. Said operator proved to be a valuable asset. Following a short exchange with Firm terrorists, the squad breaks contact with one wounded and proceeds to Construction site. After securing the location, wounded team member employs a tactical respawn. The squad evades NAF airstrikes on the site then moves north along the road to gauge enemy presence. After a short firefight with NAF infantry (no casulties) R2 proceeds to Western Roadblock while evading mechanized patrols. R2 sets off a successful ambush on NAF guardsmen near the roadblock, then breaks contact before the enemy could mount an organized counter-attack. Some pursuers are also killed.

Using recon data collected on the previous day, R2 avoids multiple enemy patrols and finally sets up an observation post 40-50m from NAF HQ main entrance. Despite the heavy in-and-out traffic and fortified sentry positions, R2 stays unnoticed. After observing for 40+ minutes, squad leader orders a raid on the NAF compound, main objective is to cripple the commanding structure and cause chaos (in short: to have some fun :) ). One shooter (operator „M”) sneaks up to the nearest (and most crowded) sentry position to secure the back of the raiding force, then rest of R2 walks openly into NAF base. The enemy is exceedingly slow to react, when finally the alarm sounds, numerous NAF personnel is already silent killed or surrendered. As sentries turn toward the threat „M” steps out of the forest and shoots all five in the back. In the end, R2 neutralizes at least 40 NAF soldiers before killed or captured by the defenders. Sadly, the raid was hampered by the fact that many NAF personnel didn’t wear eye protection, up to the commanding staff, including the 1st Mech Battalion CO - so the recon squad had to „pull punches” to avoid potentially dangerous situations. After some POW LARP, R2 walks back to Poldavian HQ for R&R.

http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6486_std.jpg
http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6503_std.jpg

Day 4 – After 9AM the squad climbs to highest point of Speckstaberget, meets R2 at Deagas Plateau, then proceeds to Himmelsberget to secure the mountain top and to monitor the situation in Janco City. R1 and R2 takes up defensive positions, unnoticed by the citizens. Shortly thereafter a rogue platoon of Poldavians arrive and attack Janco City. R1 and R2 holds position according to orders, and abstain from violence (apart from R1 knife killing a single enemy climber).

As ransacking of the City goes on, R1 is tasked to quickly move to Old Graveyard to assess suspicious civilian activity. At the location, R1 reports an unidentified mechanical instrument (most likely a fake satellite piece, still waiting for confirmation) loosely hidden in a mock grave. After moving the object to another hidden location, squad takes up two observing positions. Few minutes later, group of Zansian terrorists arrive and a short firefight breaks out when one of the observing parties are spotted. R1 leaves to south to retrieve the object, then climbs up to Speckstaberget-road to get to Deagas Plateau.

While advancing on the road R1 comes under fire by Zansian terrorists. The squad executes an aggressive flanking move and takes out a handful of Zansians (by the price of two lightly wounded poldavian heroes), forcing them to break contact and leave with their own wounded. R1 moves to the empty Deagas Plateau, then goes offgame at 3PM.

http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6538_std.jpg
http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6544_std.jpg
http://www.shooter.hu/b9/img_6551_std.jpg

End of report.
Last edited by Trasher-HU on 10 Jul 2011, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
B6 - NATO, Fox2, mech QRF
B7 - Orlov mercs, Bravo2, medic
B8 - Poldav 3rd Mtn, mech QRF driver
B9 - Poldav 3rd Mtn. recon, Romeo-2 SL
B10 - Poldav 21st Mech Sappers, SL

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 10 Jul 2011, 05:53

I'd like to thank both of you and your patrol members from us at HQ for excellent conduct and outstanding airsoft duty this year. Your vital intel and recon reports were highly appreciated and made the game for our field units. We could hear your reports on Channel 3 and quite frankly I was impressed over the tactical awareness and situational understanding you showed.

Way to go, dudes! :wink:

Hope to see you next year - under somewhat better COM circumstances. I've got some ideas about that and will bring some extra gear next time. There's an amazing choice of useful gadgets for airsoft COM out there just waiting to be used :)
Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

Rhyn0
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rhyn0 » 10 Jul 2011, 13:53

Excellent AAR Thrasher, very proffesional, you're making me look bad ;)
Ps: on day 4 you got Romeo 1 and 2 mixed up.

The hungarian squad displayed excellent fairplay and proffesionalism, and that in fact could be said of all recon squads. I'd be intetested in hearing all your accounts, because due to range i couldn't. Always hear wjat you guys were reporting from the other side of the map.

Motorhead, as usual it was a pleasure having you on the other end of the line, there's no better feeling than hearing a cool collected voice acknowledge your report and knowing that you got the intel through and it's actually gonna be put to good use.
As a sidenote, after our epic Patrol on day 2 i was a little dissapointed while RTB-ing because i thought our desperate calls made under heavy enemy fire reporting that huge NAF column that we were engaging didn't go through, and it really made our day 120% better when u told me they had been received.

Many thanks from the romanians to all the HQ staff
B7- Milo's Tigers, Sq.L
B8- 15th Pold. Psyops, "Bash", Coy Cmdr.
B9- Pold. 3rd, Recon plt. ldr
B10- Pold. Force Recon "Odin's Ravens" Cmmdr
B11- HVIU Operative/Guyana Border Police(Cpt. Garcea)
B12- GCT Rangers-Engineer
B13- GCT Paras Engineer/AT guy
B14- NAF Fathom Grunt/AT guy