NAF 3 Rangers, Alpha 2 AAR

Feedback and debriefings from Berget 9
Panzer [Shepherds]
Corporal
Corporal

NAF 3 Rangers, Alpha 2 AAR

Post by Panzer [Shepherds] » 11 Jul 2011, 23:17

AAR Alpha 2, 3 RANGERS

Sporadic firefights have been left out. Firefights and engagements from singled out FT's are left to be logged by the ones in position to account. As such, the below gives an elaborate and detailed overview of Alpha 2's main operations up to 80%.

The below AAR is an account from my recollections so there might be gaps.d.The 4 days went into crescendo of low, uneventful activities on Wednesday to complete increasing wrecking aggressive havoc-dealing during the following days. I salute you for that!

First of all I need to express my gratitude as well as pride having to be able to be the Platoon Leader of the group we had and to be able to work together with my guys. Prior, myself and Vandal asked from everyone to give their 100% at least and to explore their boundaries of endurance, pain and skill.

How much MORE did we get in return from them! Not only did everyone explore their boundaries…everyone passed them and went on and on BEYOND their boundaries of endurance, fatigue and sucked up the pain. When fatigue, pain, rain, burning sun etc. hit…we still kept on going and deal punches along the way.

Base preparations from our side went solid and direct, we pretty much spent the entire Tuesday until the late hours to build up our flank of the base including 3 FOPs, 2 down the main road and 1 bunker down below the satellite-mast which had a perfect view on the road towards FOPs 1 and 2 as well on our direct flank where our base-spot was as well on the 2 incoming roads and sectors towards Whiskey-Point. The feedback we received from all said enough about how solid it was. To our frustrations however, we were the only platoon doing actually defensive base work at that stage with the exception of a limited few. One or 2 German guys even came (almost begged) to wake up the others to start as well.. Luckily this changed to the better in the late afternoon on Wednesday and base defenses were setup all around.

Wednesday

Our first assignment was to take ownership of base-defense on the 3 Ranger flank together with Alpha 3 which we setup with manned foxholes over the entire flank and check-patrols on rotation every 20 minutes. The setup worked quite well and was uneventful for an approximate of 1,5 to 2 hours. At that stage, the foxholes and patrol on the NE-point of the base called-in a group walking around between foxhole 3 and 4 who turned out to be supposed representatives of the Janco mining company. These were grouped and prepared for getting searched as their intention and as well location of find was rather odd. 3 minutes down the strip and search the base all the sudden got under an artillery strike causing the 2 patrol-sections searching the group to lose 2 men. After further searching Rogue detected a PTT system on one of the backpacks without radio. Further searching discovered the actual radio being hidden away in another pack leading to the firm believe that these guys probably radioed in positions leading to the arti-attack. However, no solid proof. Group was routed off to base HQ to deal with them. From there on, the night was relatively uneventful with base-protection until 0300am and preps being made for Thursday. It is now known that this group were not miners though part of the Black-Ops team.

Next paragraph has been supplied by Splinter (Yannis)

[Splinter/Yannis]
After patroling the camp we got the order to gear up and move out with A1 to the direction of Whiskey expecting to have contact with the enemy. When we arrived Whiskey was in our hands guarded by some Swedes from the 6th ABN.
We spent a fair amount of time there and then we saw the first elements of the enemy approaching, first from the road and our right flank.
We took positions on the left flank (actually our platoon was splint in both flanks) and pretty soon the fight came to us as well. We pulled back a bit to avoid their flanking maneuver on our left side and managed to push them back on our side. It was you, Raf, Gideon, Andy (?), JJ and myself together with some french guys, don't know what unit they belonged to.
After pushing them back we made our way crawling down towards the road when the artillery strike came.
I took cover in a deep crevice in the ground, I don't know what 1IC did because when it was over I lost him.

Made my way a bit further towards the road, almost next to the bunker, where I think I took out an enemy SAW only to get killed by the one behind him.
[/Splinter/Yannis]

Thursday

Thursday morning we were assigned to do recon on the Old Forest Graveyard area to gather INTEL on an apparent group of people wandering the area carrying weapons. Since this was a recon mission on a relative remote area in relation to the camp, it was going to be rather an LRP opposite to a combat patrol. Everyone was instructed to gear up with a proper amount of water, food, dry items etc. since we would be in the field for the major part of the day. Boris planned an evasive route which should keep us away from enemy patrols and accidental encounters in order to ensure we reach our destination. Weather conditions were good but the open sky and sun ensured it was going to get a harsh mount over open fields and rock-areas.

The squad was Oscar Mike at 0915am Field-crossing was done with utmost care in controlled pairs in order to prevent the entire patrol being compromised or spotted. These went relatively well and controlled. The course was harsh going through dense woodland area, scrub, marsh and swamps in which several sank away up to the upper legs and leg-killing rock-formations/hills. During the descend from the rock-formation, there was a lot of radio-clutter which was odd.

The patrol was uneventful without encounters until we started to approach the southern-road which needed to be crossed. Though far away from the OPFOR base, mechanized patrols seemed to be setup in a 5 minute cycle which forced a rapid, controlled and secure crossing to the other side in rapid pace, one by one. When having crossed the road and selecting an R&R spot behind rocks at an approx. of 40m away from the road I ordered for rest and food which everyone needed and well deserved. Not even 5 minutes later, 2 vehicles including at least 1 troop transport halted exactly at our spot on the road off-loading troops.

We kept low and geared up slowly and silently for evasive retreat or an aggressive break-out if required. I decided to keep low and quite as long as possible and not to go aggressive as the primary mission objective was paramount. Unfortunately, at the same time we had 2 troops in the squad of which 1 was burned up and 1 suffering severly from injury. HQ (Charlie 3/Gravitas), with whom we had constant and structured contact during the entire LRP, was advised for a pick-up on the road to which they would move after 45 minutes when we left the spot with the squad in order to allow us to leave securely.

Hat off to especially Freak considering his injury after an operation for biting the bullet to secure the squad’s movement and position. Boris led the troop safely away on the right flank of the rock-formation between us and the road and from there the hell-ride really started. A long hike constantly up hill on rock-formations continued for an approximate of 2,5 hours until we reached the far SE-side of the area descending back down, connect back to the side of the main road and follow it up into the South region of the OPFOR sector and base-camp.

Cover was required on plenty of occasions dodging civilian cars passing by on the road topside on our left-flank and once or twice for OPFOR patrols. This was the stage where we were in position to start moving into the designated area for patrol which was at an approx of 2 clicks to go. Estimated time by then was 1730. At this stage, Charlie 1 called in (BATCO) to order an immediate assault on the OPFOR position/HQ in a joint assault with Alpha 1.
At that stage we were down by 3, morale was at a lower level and everyone was chewing away exhaustion. Having pointed to our actual mission setup and status to BATCO, I received the call to execute the order, period. Boris was ordered to speed up the squad tempo and maneuver into the south area of the squad.

At about 15 minutes later following the road directly with 100% assault intention and moving into the right side of the woods in line formation, we ran into enemy positions which we battered hard. The lonely troop on the road which we spotted when passing down the road seemed to have been completely oblivious to us being there. The enemy gunner-nest which was located at approx 30m away from the road was covered well and building up a challenge, but Alpha 2 split up in 2 sections to flank the nest with mounting aggressiveness with effect.
At that stage, I should have called our attack off and retreat the formation further away to let the area come to rest again however I steered the squad to a location across the road to push looking for trouble which led to an elimination of the squad after an approx fight of 20 minutes. Approximate casualty rate was set to 17 to 20 killed OPFOR.

Considerations: The attack showed that our aggressiveness was not yet were it should be, our movements were to static at first. I did not adamantly push for harder and faster assaulting of the nest. Additionally, my main mistake as PL at that stage was to fail harassing ALPHA 1 on comms to get their SITREP on a constant bases to coordinate since they just called out the attack and did nit wait one second for us. Also I should have ordered to retreat the squad once we slaughtered the enemy position. On the other hand, the team did an excellent job to deal punches to the enemy hard despite having been on an exhausting LRP of around 9 hours under stress and though conditions and going from low frustration levels to frenzy to chop the OPFOR up.

From there the long return to HQ commenced. 4 squad members were ordered by me to join the ride we encountered from 1st MECH and unload the heavy weapons as well for whom possible to go light on the return.
Totally hammered, we returned in HQ with the squad on foot at an approximate of 2100.At HQ R&R was ordered as well to bring gear and supplies back in order to have it instantly ready. BATCO advised to take full rest and be in readiness state following morning at 0800am.

I advised we would be in R&R and ensure proper rest though would remain in QRF for interventions when the base would be under attack. Cleaned and re-arranged my gear and kit and hit the sack to get sleep. At 0030 the base came under heavy attack by OPFOR to which the Alpha 2 members in state of reacting responded to aggressively. 1IC recollection on firefight’s length is poor due to being knocked out but estimated to 30 a 40 minutes. 2IC to report details.

Considerations: Unable to leave my sack, should have though and I’m still pissed off I didn’t manage. Additionally, I should have been ranted out of my bag by my 2IC

Friday

Out of the sack at 0555. Hit the showers and took chow. Woke up the squad at 0715. Squad started to get into readiness while I hit the BATCO tent to gather with the PLs at 0820. Mission assigned being recon patrol into the graveyard to gather INTEL on spotted group of persons with weapons. In case being unable to interrogate, ROE was to eliminate at will though capture 1 survivor at minimum. Transport would be arranged joining Alpha 3 to Janco where we would step-off and split up.

Left BATCO tent to pick up radios at the main HQ-hut where I spotted moving OPFOR sneaking behind the hut getting in position. OPFOR lead saw me though to my utter astonishment advised me to keep silent. Acted dumb, went onto the porch of the hut, alarmed command immediately and got the squad in gear immediately and woke the camp. Alpha 2 immediately took the fight to the enemy. Killed 3 personally and the fight was ended in no more than 5 minutes due to aggressive and immediate response of Alpha 2 and the other platoons in reaction mode. 5 POW’s taken. Unfortunately for them, that’s where it started showering down massively having to sit out in the rain. Once HQ decided what to do all were ordered to be knife-killed.

Assembled Alpha 2 at the transport vehicles where we were spread over the available carriers. This is where a primary mistake occurred. The platoons were split and spread over vehicles which would be taking a different route. This lead to Alpha 2 being split-up with 1 part getting stuck in an ambush at the NATO exit together with Alpha 3 and the other part being stuck at the other side of the same road being unable to regroup. 2 carriers able to go over the rough roads entered Janco relatively uneventful with having been under fire once.

Alpha 2 in the front carrier (German UNIMOG) was ordered to disembark and recce the road after behind the NATO check-point. Alpha 2 patrol came under fire at the first intersection with the road heading right. Since incoming fire could not be traced, cover was taken in the ditches spread out alongside the road. Firefight got heavier and patrol attempted to proceed forward ending up at an approx of 200m ahead of the check-point while radioing status to vehicle and package.

A pack of civilians approached the intersection wanting clearance towards Janco which was denied by myself and ordered to take cover. Reason being the fact that I wanted us to be able to keep eyes on them and seeing their actions/re-actions and prevent a surprise action in our back in case they were hostile. Vehicle 1 and 2 moved forward to assist clearance since Alpha 2 at that stage got hammered. Both transports and platoons got stuck and Alpha 3 joined the fight while patching up the wounded from Alpha 2.

Considerations: My orders and maneuvering of the Alpha 2 squad was not aggressive enough. Once noticing that advancing was utile, I should have ordered retreat and regroup and the NATO check-point. Our tasking orders were not in picking the fight along the trail to our objective but to GET to the objective and it was wrong to let us get lured into a fight. At embarking, I should have demanded/checked for a clear overview on the spread of Alpha 2 over the transports since this split left us basically decreased in force on 2 locations with 50%. Communication and maneuvering was better than the action the day prior, though not at the required level yet.

Regrouped with Alpha 3 and Bravo 6 under field-command of Charlie 3 (Gravitas) to go on combat patrol to check on the Construction site, Plantation and Graveyard and as such increase force.

Beautiful sight to see the patrol leave HQ up the road in construction in single file patrol formation with the 3 platoons. 1 click down the road the patrol was directed into the woods from the left side of the road, step-down over rocky trails. Whiskey-point was taken and we were off to check the construction site via an alternative route. Quite uneventful patrol on which the 3 platoons were split by Charlie 3 to scan the infiltrated area for artillery pieces which were allegedly around from OPFOR. Alpha 2 took the mid-section to be scanned which went onto rock-formations again. Platoon was lined up in wedge with according spacing for the scanning. At the near end of the rock-area, shots were heard which were called into Charlie 3. I ordered the platoon to go in spread and cover on the spot to await events to unfold and OPFOR to move since we were on the low ground and I did not want my squad to get slaughtered by unseen OPFOR. Charlie 3 ordered to stay fixed until he rejoined with the other platoons, so we did wait in fixed positions i the pouring rain. At about 10 minutes Sniperboy was apparently taken out on the far left edge of the formation and was taken out by the shots we heard. At fix + 30 Charlie 3 advised to reconnect at their position instead so the squad was ordered up and move after which we rejoined with the other platoons.

At this stage, fatigue kicked in for a few men predominantly triggered by 1 hour of sleep after the LRP and base defense the day previous. 2 disconnected from the squad to HQ to get back into ready-state ASAP, the remaining part of the squad continued on combat patrol with the other platoons and Charlie 3. Alpha 2 at that stage was chopped down to 5 operators.

Patrol was continued to the grave-yard for which Alpha 2 took point to clear the road up ahead. Uneventful until the grave-yard. The primary objective was no longer present in the area and ordered further down into the area. The main SP at 400m from the bunker located in the area was cleared. The bunker however down the road became a cookie. The platoons got stuck fighting the occupying forces on the site. I ordered Alpha 2 to get into a flanking position on the left side of the bunker and moved up unseen across the road, into the bushes again on the left high flank of the bunker. At approx 40m we got a visual on the OPFOR and closed in to 30m at the stage of which I called Alpha 2 to go for aggressive line attack. Splinter, Rocco and Tank took out OPFOR on the front of the installation after I took out the sniper in the rear-end covering the position. In no more than 2 a 3 minutes the bunker was cleared and owned by us after it had been a stuck fight for almost 20 minutes. Called into Charlie 3 that we had the bunker occupied which did not prevent Sniper to get hit by blue on blue though without eliminating him permanently luckily. At that stage we were called RTB. Alpha 3 split off to look for some more trouble.

Arrived at our base, we off-loaded, took chow and geared up with minimal load to look for trouble with OPFOR. Splinter, Rocco, Tank, Papi, Grasshopper and Panzer took off with minimal gear towards check-point Whiskey. Gear was stripped down from rigs etc to extreme light, down to 2 clips only. The point seemed under attack and we left off the trail into the left side flank positioned from HQ to descend down and scout the situation. OPFOR seemed to have taken the point while an approximate f 20 to 25 NAF forces tried to reclaim. We formed up into 2 FT's; splinter from the bottom-left of the bunker in the tree-line, the remaining from the top-left. Sneaking alongside and arriving at 20m approx, 1 OPFOR scout came over the hill which I took out instantly with 2 shots. Splinter took one out on the left side of our position. At that stage I ordered a full out rush onto the bunker and went directly onto the back-door of the bunker, took the right side and took out the OPFOR occupant inside. While engaged, Papi took the left side of the entrance to clear. The involvement from us in the engagement clocked at probably around 5 minutes of which 1 to 2 minutes to reclaim the bunker. The guy in the bunker and few troops around it from OPFOR turned out to be the same guys as the ones we captured in the morning...good times.

Aggression and adrenaline were fully pumping at that stage in massive doses.

Alpha 2 left the point to the remaining forces and went RTB for base defense duty. Patrols were setup in collaboration with Bravo 4. Uneventful for a few hours except for the shooting of a Bravo 5 operator who failed to call out the ID-Challenge...after full bursts from 2 he suddenly remembered... :)

Scout detected on the hillside towards the entrance of A2's flank. Turned round and disappeared though when being ID'ed.

Small firefights in the night but relatively uneventful until 0300. BAse patrol conducted to clear the area from potential scouts just in case. Alpha 2 ordered to hit the sack in order to be ready and loaded at 0800 am.

Platoon being brought into ready-state only to react to QRF for a base attack by OPFOR at 0901 am. Renewed swiftly being knocked back aggressively. 2 POW's taken by Alpha 2 and an accidental blue on blue without dramatic result. POW's stripped, searched and interrogated. HQ ordered execution of both of which 1 fulfilled by Papi.

Assigned to check on Whiskey and hold.

Remained on position and continued patrol further down to Zulu. On the main mud-road, Brave 4 and others (?) were engaged with troops further down the road located on the T-seciotn under the electric lines. Ordered Alpha 2 forward over the right flank over the road to enter the woods at an approx. of 100m in from of the section. Heavy firefights took place on the left side. Exiting the tree-line the left flank started to get vapored. The tree-line in front of us appeared to be containing several OPFOR positions pinning us down in the marsh between both tree-lines behind and in front. Pushed to extend flanking by fallback and cross-right though point got hit as did RATELO. With 2 man down I ordered to fall back directly on the tree-line to regroup and readjust attacking formation. Positioned in the tree-lines to adjust and spread fire on the opposing line. Left flank fell or re-grouped, unclear to me still. Kept fire on for a bit and pulled back to Whisky.

After an approx of 1 hour, disconnected from Whiskey with scout (Rocco) to recce the area subject to combat an hour before. Road/trails were clear and we held position to spot for 15 minutes. Kept radio contact longingly with Charlie 3 to pass on INTEL. Lot's of troop noise originating from the left flank of the T-section up ahead as on the right flank. Moved further down to the road to get visual though could only get noise-intel. At that stage troop-movements were spotted by noise on our right flank at an approx of 100m though we remained undetected. Rocco fixed cover while I continued spotting beyond the T-section into the first scrubs. Called in Splinter to come half way our position and Whiskey point to supper tin case we need to suddenly fall back. Approximate troop strengths past on to Charlie 3 on both left and right sections. Pulled back slightly to the ditch ending at the T-section and fixed for 10 minutes. OPFOR came out the bushes and passed me at not more than 5m without spotting me. Decided not to go aggressive since it was unclear if he was a loner or point of a formation. Looking back, I should have snatched him...Fell back 10m and remained. Called in Sniper to connect with us to build up force of 4. Lost contact after 20 minutes with him and company. No visual movements at all on the intersection nor surroundings and returned to the holding point from Rocco. At that stage, 3 or 4 OPFOR exited the right side of the woods onto the road and headed a patrol in our direction. Point spotted us and I decided to fall back to Whiskey considering being a force of 2 only and preventing capture.

Regrouped on Whiskey, took chow and held as instructed. NAF Forces from 1st and 6th pulled up to Whiskey and Rangers took point for frontal push. 2nd Alpha moved forward. Advised to evade the T-section and take the left flank in. To this stage I do not have intel why the entire force was maneuvered still into the exact area we scouted and passed INTEL on. Started the push over the rock formations with Alpha 2 down the flank into the direction of the T-section. From there on it became 1 aggressive roller-coaster sweeping out OPFOR being encountered by force.

Kept Alpha 2 pushing by force and havoc after clearing top left OPFOR pin-down fire. regrouped with NAF forces when crossing the road engaging the front further. Total havoc around, screaming, pushing, shooting, bangs, aggression all over while pushing OPFOR back. Pulled further to the point of the spear. At the split prior to the road heading for the last 150m to the t-section, NAF forces regrouped and reloaded. Pushed Alpha 2 further down though NAF forces were spread. Bravo 6 continued push on the left side, Alpha 2 continued on the right flank. Woods were covered with dense sprays originating from OPFOR fire-bases to the far right and front in the tree-lines. Kept pushing though casualties started to be collected now by Alpha 2. Left flank started to thin out, forces in the back started to deviate to the back left road heading towards Janco. Right point kept pinned down though pushed further into the woods and ditch. 2 more casualties on the far right of Alpha 2 rendering me alone in the ditch on the far front. Remaining Alpha 2 forces (Papi, Splinter, Tank?) fell one after the other while being completely pinned down in the far front in a ditch. No back-up in the back anymore and at that stage it seemed the roller-coaster stopped and forces on the left and right flank got sweeped out. While trying to fall back one of the OPFOR firebases got me in the head...rendering Alpha 2 terminated.

Regrouped at HQ, took fluid, refilled magus and received assignment to infiltrate Janco by insertion by transport and shoot to kill anything except NAF and NATO. Arriving at the scene Janco was a complete chaos with a huge concentration of troops. Engaged in random fire-fights, got hit and terminated. Fight continued for another 20 minutes...

game off.
[Shepherds] X.O.

B9: NAF 3rd Ranger Bat / A Company / 2nd PLT (ALPHA 2) / 1 IC

www.shepherds-squad.com

A_Muller
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: NAF 3 Rangers, Alpha 2 AAR

Post by A_Muller » 12 Jul 2011, 05:51

Panzer [Shepherds] wrote: Alpha 2 left the point to the remaining forces and went RTB for base defense duty. Patrols were setup in collaboration with Bravo 4. Uneventful for a few hours except for the shooting of a Bravo 5 operator who failed to call out the ID-Challenge...after full bursts from 2 he suddenly remembered...
I did remember, but since I didn't want to reveal our patrols behind me by starting to yell I waved my blue armband. Unfortunately you were unable to ID it and I was shot getting 2 wooden stumps to sit on, quite the unheroic casualty :P
B5: RTO, NATO Rangers
B9: Platoon Leader, NAF Rangers, Bravo 5

Panzer [Shepherds]
Corporal
Corporal

Re: NAF 3 Rangers, Alpha 2 AAR

Post by Panzer [Shepherds] » 12 Jul 2011, 07:55

A_Muller wrote:
Panzer [Shepherds] wrote: Alpha 2 left the point to the remaining forces and went RTB for base defense duty. Patrols were setup in collaboration with Bravo 4. Uneventful for a few hours except for the shooting of a Bravo 5 operator who failed to call out the ID-Challenge...after full bursts from 2 he suddenly remembered...
I did remember, but since I didn't want to reveal our patrols behind me by starting to yell I waved my blue armband. Unfortunately you were unable to ID it and I was shot getting 2 wooden stumps to sit on, quite the unheroic casualty :P
Hahaha :) I know it was you :D Funny how we bot were pissed off: we for not getting a reply (fog) and you for getting shot (YELLOW DAMNIT YELLO YELLOW!) :D Happy times ;)
[Shepherds] X.O.

B9: NAF 3rd Ranger Bat / A Company / 2nd PLT (ALPHA 2) / 1 IC

www.shepherds-squad.com