Short after action report from GCT Sniper & Recon

Feedback and debriefings from Berget 12
aidynskas
Corporal
Corporal

Short after action report from GCT Sniper & Recon

Post by aidynskas » 01 Jul 2014, 19:33

First of all big thanks to our commanders Arradin and Korf! Also to GCT Rangers commander wormbyte for inspiring speeches! I have nothing but praises for our commanders.

Day 1, Wednesday: Rangers and us were tasked to take the old bridge north of the game area with bridge intact. If the guards guarding it were to see anyone attacking the bridge they were tasked to blow it up. All the GCT Rangers and snipers move out to the bridge. This was the first time I've seen ~20-30 snipers moving as a platoon :) Our sniper unit callsign Sierra 3 got the coolest mission ever - sneak to the bridge, locate the guard house (there was a guard house and barracks close by) and kill the guards inside so they don't explode the bridge when rangers attacks. We were told that the Rangers might begin the attack after anywhere between 15mins to 2hours. Mechanized Yuri Orlov guys show up and run into one of the sniper groups guarding the road from the west. They start sweeping the forest and kill us. They also take out the guards and pass the bridge. GM gives use mobile respawn at the north side of the map and we return to the game. Nothing important happens that night and we walk back to our patrol base.

Day 2, Thursday: Our mission is to observe any movement or units guarding checkpoint C. We happily go out for our mission and on the way run into a secret guard position where apparently Yuri Orlov mercs base is located. We all got wiped out by the Russians in the ambush, healed and marched into the Yuri Orlov base as prisoners. They happily cheer our capture and start filming/taking pictures of us :) I would say their joy was just as great as our embarrassment of being captured :D We do some talking in English and pretend not to understand Russian (which we do). At least we've had some fun listening to them of planning to release us and the follow us hoping we would go straight to the GCT base :) Unfortunately they search us and take all our money and then kill us. We go all the way to the Guyana border for respawn.

Just as we are about to respawn large friendly mech force comes in with news that 200 or possibly 300 Ravens are going to attack our positions and we must defend them. We find some cover and are waiting for the enemy when mech force commander shouts its unit to go somewhere else. They pack in 10seconds and pretty much leaves us 4 alone :)

Fortunately we get a new mission from our commander to sneak into the Blood Ravens base and find a code on their HQ or Fuel Ammo Depot and radio it back to commander. We head out to the northern unmanned border crossing but on the way find a secret border crossing probably made by engineers before and cross it. It took us around 6 hours to sneak from Border police base to Blood Ravens base around the western border. At 2:30am we're 10meters from what we observed to be Ravens HQ but FAD could not be yet found. Since we have only 30 mins to complete the mission we decide to strip all out gear and guns and just go in loudly to the base in two pairs hoping nobody will care at this time of day. We find FAD and the HQ but could not locate the numbers (either we missed them or they weren't there). Unfortunately commander in the Ravens HQ notices us walking and asks where our armbands are. I show him my leg band and immediatly got shot to the head from 2 meters (no worries, the pistol was like 10fps at most, suited just for this task :) ). Base alarm goes off and we all got wiped out soon. Since it's late, cold and we have around 5km to cover back to our patrol base we head back and reach it at 5am.

Day 3, Friday: It seems that our HQ has no mission neither for us or other sniper units so we decide to take a revenge on Yuri Orlov mercs and make an ambush with 4 Claymore mines on the road between their base and checkpoint C.On the way there we get info from our commanders that Ricon is in fishermans hut and we must kill him. Unfortunately he soon leaves and mission is canceled. Another sniper unit callsign Hitman 3 joins us and we head to our planned ambush position. On the way Hitman 3 runs into a forward observation post in the forest manned by Blood Ravens. They both get shot immediatly. Unfortunately their bleeding time runs out just as we are about to heal them and they get killed. We shoot one or two Ravens and retreat.

Since our original plan is compromised we decide to cancel the original ambush and now plant the mines directly near the entrance to the Yuri Orlov base. We observe the entrance from the forest for an hour and then trucks arrive to pickup the mercenaries for some mission. Since we are tired we decide to shoot them when they're loading the trucks. It takes a couple of sniper shots before they realise what's going on and when we open fire from everything we have. We get massive fire from the Yuri Orlov base and two of us get killed immediately. It takes another half an hour and several kills for them to find and shoot the rest 2 snipers. Dead we head back to our base for sleep.

Day 4, Saturday: Nothing much, some shootings as always :)

Lessons learned:
1. Mobile phone is a must for any unit operating outside bases. Radio can not be used when dead or when too far away from commanders. I am pretty sure we've been called by our commander many times while being dead.
2. Problems with armbands (legbands in our case). They often get covered by ghillie suits (especially full ones) and cause frustration for other factions/players. We should probably make our own custom ones that are much bigger than the armbands.
3. Time allocated for missions. Normal pace on the roads is around 2-3km/h and much more slower if you're moving offroads (which we almost always did) and is at most 0.5-1km/h. Sniper missions require much more time to accomplish successfully than say squad or platoon size ones.
4. Using the radio while dead is against the rules but is it against the rules to ask where the closest respawn is? (This hints that the unit is dead and therefore removes some fog of war from the game). We had to walk all the back almost to the safe zone from another side of the map for respawn.
B8: Poldavian 5th Infantry
B9: Poldavian 3rd
B10: NAF 9th
B11: GCT
B12: GCT
B13: Cerberus

Husqvarna
Newbee
Newbee

Re: Short after action report from GCT Sniper & Recon

Post by Husqvarna » 03 Jul 2014, 10:26

Four times we met GCT patrol with out fire fight (we just hide). These patrols are always only four men and it would be quite easy just ambush them - but it is not our mission. Once we spend quire long time with GCT patrol about 25 meters between us. We both watch for a road near the Fisher man's hut. It was more exciting and the time it takes felt longer than normal because my position was about 80 cm from a hornet's nest (we came about 6 am to place and hornets sleeps - so I recognize that nest after sun rise when hornets became active... but to late to change position). I would be the real hell for me if GCT players have shoot me and my hornet's nest...

The fifth engagement was that we we have to open fire (probably the same what you mentioned). These two GCT players walk directly to our place - and we have to shoot them. Then we made mistake and sent one of our scout other postion (upper hill) - we expected that GCT patrol would be smaller and it would be possible to destroy it (we saw only 6). Well, soon we get radio message from our lone scout "There are more GCT... I am too close of them now...". Soon after that we lost him. Then we two on "the base" to be passive with a fighting. Our fourt player was behind GCT's left flank and he have possibility to take two of them, but we decided on radio with him to just wait (too risky for us). Finally GCT retreaded and we continued our own mission.

In my eyes there was lot of recon-traffic near a tacticl points and other strategic positions. Most important for the our team was just watch back. Only first night when we scout Guyana-area (trading stations), we did not met any other patrols (6 hour mission).

It would very nice to know how often other scouts just hide when we walk over them :wank:
Husqvarna
Team Firstwave

B11: Ravens Guerilla (Mursu)
B12: Ravens (Mursu Recon)
B13: Ikaros Infantry
B14: UPIR Shadows
B15: Mercenaries

aidynskas
Corporal
Corporal

Post by aidynskas » 03 Jul 2014, 10:44

So it was you guys. I remember the moment when I've tried to trick you by saying we are Ravens too to see your position :) It worked but I didn't hit you :( You've used the whistle many times and we were expecting to see reinforcements but nobody came.

In total there were 6 of us coming out of patrol base into 3 different directions. 2 were killed immediately and later one of us was wounded.
B8: Poldavian 5th Infantry
B9: Poldavian 3rd
B10: NAF 9th
B11: GCT
B12: GCT
B13: Cerberus

Coffe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Coffe » 03 Jul 2014, 11:29

I don't think the leg-bands are anything to worry about. As a sniper and a ghillie-user it should be hard to identify you regardless if you're an enemy or friendly.

We basically treated all "Wookies" we saw as hostiles if they acted suspiciously towards us. A friendly wookie doesn't run into the forest and hide if he sees red armbands, he waves to us or otherwise makes us aware of his prescence.

Husqvarna
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Husqvarna » 03 Jul 2014, 17:33

Yes aidynskas, it was our team against you. I whistled, cause I try to affect some confusion for you - we do not have any reinforcements. But Orlow's base was near and we guess they could be eager to know what is going on (wrong guess).

You played very well during the fight. And your team move very careful (first I think it should be a animal, but then we saw you). Hopeful we can meet nextime in different circumstances :)
Husqvarna
Team Firstwave

B11: Ravens Guerilla (Mursu)
B12: Ravens (Mursu Recon)
B13: Ikaros Infantry
B14: UPIR Shadows
B15: Mercenaries

HerrNilson
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by HerrNilson » 03 Jul 2014, 18:55

What was the situation with GCT and armbands?

On the final day there were some of you wearing Berget issued PMC armbands.
Berget 10 - Pol 3 MNT 3 Coy
Berget 11 - GCT SIDU
Berget 12 - PMC Hatchet 1-1
Berget 13 - Para Inf Alpha 3 (BAVS)
Berget 14 - Alpha Company - Alpha 1-0
Berget 15 - Pathfinders
Berget 16 - NAF HQ 2IC

M.Svensson
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by M.Svensson » 03 Jul 2014, 19:06

HerrNilson wrote:What was the situation with GCT and armbands?

On the final day there were some of you wearing Berget issued PMC armbands.
That was the GCT intelligence unit(most likely), they had civilian armbands in order to be able to infiltrate and get information about rico. They also had other special missions.
Berget 11 - GCT SFODU, GOLF
Berget 12 - GCT 9th SF infantry, ECHO
Berget 13 - GCT Special Parachute Infantry, ALPHA

HerrNilson
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by HerrNilson » 03 Jul 2014, 19:21

On the final day they wore PMC armbands. I get that Berget might have sanctioned this, but really was the possibility of it mentioned in Berget Event rules?
Berget 11 - GCT SIDU
Berget 15 - Pathfinders
Berget 16 - NAF HQ 2IC

L4gi
Captain
Captain

Post by L4gi » 03 Jul 2014, 19:52

GCT Intelligence unit wore _ONLY_ civilian armbands for the whole duration of the game. No one of our guys ever used a blue one.
B7 / B8 / B9 / B10 / B11 / B12 / B13 / B14 / B15 / B16 / B17

HerrNilson
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by HerrNilson » 03 Jul 2014, 21:06

There were a group of Finnish players from GCT wearing Berget issued PMC armbands on the final day. Previously one of them had posed as a reporter from the New York Times.
Berget 11 - GCT SIDU
Berget 15 - Pathfinders
Berget 16 - NAF HQ 2IC

M.Svensson
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by M.Svensson » 03 Jul 2014, 21:09

HerrNilson wrote:There were a group of Finnish players from GCT wearing Berget issued PMC armbands on the final day. Previously one of them had posed as a reporter from the New York Times.
Note that the PMC armbands were the same as civilian armbands.

HerrNilson
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by HerrNilson » 03 Jul 2014, 21:46

M.Svensson wrote:
HerrNilson wrote:There were a group of Finnish players from GCT wearing Berget issued PMC armbands on the final day. Previously one of them had posed as a reporter from the New York Times.

Fair enough, but I saw many Civillians but none seemed to have the same armband as us. Even the blue arm banded GCT were confused as to why there fellow team mates were wearing the incorrect bands.

There are many colours in the world and thats something that could have been avoided altogether.
Berget 11 - GCT SIDU
Berget 15 - Pathfinders
Berget 16 - NAF HQ 2IC

M.Svensson
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by M.Svensson » 03 Jul 2014, 21:59

HerrNilson wrote:
M.Svensson wrote:

Fair enough, but I saw many Civillians but none seemed to have the same armband as us. Even the blue arm banded GCT were confused as to why there fellow team mates were wearing the incorrect bands.

There are many colours in the world and thats something that could have been avoided altogether.
Yeah but the reason they had green and white armbands was that they were infiltrating and people weren't supposed to know that they were GCT. I didn't have a clue what unit they were in until they told me during a mission.

AVIA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AVIA » 06 Jul 2014, 22:08

Lots of great stuff and thanks for having us :)

Now the bad.

1: 28 men strong Sniper-Army mission…? Well it's not milsim thats for damn sure!

2: Having the commander in the field is just not working very well. Korf did a great job with what he had, but he should have been in a tent in a base, where he could easily get in touch with GM. Making two choke point's in communication is not cool, with communication conditions being as bad as they are. Players on both sides get no action, when one shows up late.

3: When I came to safe zone on thursday morning, with my buddy who had seriously injured his ankle… I was told by the (very cool and helpful (Thanks if you read this)) BE guy there, that the doctor on sight, was cranky and didn't wan't to get up… This should not need any further explanation, to know how I feel about that…
B16 - NAF - Rangers Recon
B15 - FINBAT - Sniper Recon
B14 - NAF - Sniper Recon
B13 - GCT - Sniper Recon
B12 - GCT - Sniper Recon
B11 - GCT - Sniper Recon
B10 - Poldavia Inf
B9 - Poldavia Inf