Revise the "knife rule"?

General information about our next game summer 2016.

What do you prefer?

We keep the rule as it is.
68%
We change the rule according to the suggestion.
32%

Total votes: 60

pekezu
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Revise the "knife rule"?

Post by pekezu » 12 Nov 2016, 21:10

I.Kullberg wrote:If you don't need any weapon to knife kill, you can do it after being searched and handcuffed. It has happened before in Berget that civilian in the prison just started knifekilling guards, with hands tied.
Every handshake is a risk, if just words "knife kill" will eliminate you. If you need to have some kind of "weapon" in your other hand, be it airsoft gun or orange rubber knife or any other rule specified object while you use your hand to touch the opponent (not the knife holding hand, but the empty one) the enemy has possibility to see that you are armed and dangerous.
Knife kills between "soldiers" is not the problem with current rules. Knife kills between civilians is the problem.
Last year the rules stated that civs can't knife kill unless armed/wearing yellow armband. Regular civilians had only possibility to carry weapons IF their profession or other attributes demanded so. Otherwise they would have yellow armband showing that they are armed and possibly hostile. They had possibility to knock out each other or soldiers BUT only with larp weapons.

So that kind of cuts the case. I agree that with civilians I would suggest there could be rubber knives for a case you have been interrogated and someone didn't search you well enough so you could use the rubber knife hidden in your boot etc. And of course if you are armed it is a whole different situation.
B14 - Civilian
B15 - ?

I.Kullberg
Corporal
Corporal

Post by I.Kullberg » 12 Nov 2016, 21:31

At the moment there is no that kind of text in the rules. I would like that all rules are in the "rules" section of the web page, and that knife rule would be the same for soldiers and civilians. In most cases soldiers have weapons with them, so nothing changes, but in cases of larp missions/situations, undercover agents and civilian-soldier interactions the rules would be clear and same to all.
B7 SRP engineer
B9 in the Firm/Zansian Black Ops L04/Petro T of Avalon Minerals LTD
B11 GCT HVIU operator/Mineral guy from Avalon Minerals with a suit/Amnesty International guy
B12 GCT IU operator/Shoe polisher guy/Sniper in the tree
B14 NAF B-coy 3rd platoon leader
B15 NAF regular ranger
B16 UPIR ?

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Arradin » 13 Nov 2016, 00:46

Civilians dont knife kill, they use "knock out" , which have the same effects but not lethal, and in the case of Civilians actually being armed. Trust me, you CAN NOT miss it. Be provided weapons are HUGE.
Please send ticket & payment questions to:

payment@berget-events.com

Jens
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Jens » 13 Nov 2016, 06:40

If you've posted in this thread, some of this might be meant for you.

Some things to consider:
1: Safety is always the primary concern in any game.
2: No knife kill, in any game, ever, should include anyone holding an actual knife. In either hand. Logical safety concerns restrict that.
3: Knife kills/knockout shouldn't be possible by anyone unarmed. Therefore, anyone who wishes to do something like that should be in possesion of the required equipment. (knife for knife kills/guns, logs, knives, baton for knockouts)
4: The hand used for (melee) should always be empty. Rubber/calimacil blades aren't necessarily confortable being stabbed with.
5: Safety is ALWAYS the primary concern in any game.

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 13 Nov 2016, 07:21

Very interersting discussion.
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
Head of security Berget 6-8r
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3
Tjetcheny Rebels Berget 2
Project Assistant Berget 1

MiqaFox
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MiqaFox » 13 Nov 2016, 11:08

If you are taking out an incapacitated soldier in the field, I see no need for a physical knife, which is the major use of the knife rule. In reality, this could be done with any means at hand, most likely with another round, or strangling, stones, barrel of the rifle etc.

If we are talking about trying to assault/kill someone in game, a physical object to show the intent would be good. If I could chose, the person would attack with his palm and hold the object in the other hand.
B11-12: Ravens
B13: Ikaros
B14-16: UPIR
B17: GFM
"If at first you don't succeed, go get a .50 cal" - DemolitionRanch

HerrNilson
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by HerrNilson » 13 Nov 2016, 18:05

MiqaFox wrote: a physical object to show the intent would be good.
Piano wire.
Berget 10 - Pol 3 MNT 3 Coy
Berget 11 - GCT SIDU
Berget 12 - PMC Hatchet 1-1
Berget 13 - Para Inf Alpha 3 (BAVS)
Berget 14 - Alpha Company - Alpha 1-0
Berget 15 - Pathfinders
Berget 16 - NAF HQ 2IC

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 14 Nov 2016, 10:24

For LARP purposes, it would be advisable to need an object that can be found during a search and needs to be manipulated in order to perform a knifekill.

Someone without a knife shouldn't be able to do a knifekill, or shaking someone's hand, saying 'knifekill' and then showing a knife in your back pocket.
Even if it's a piano wire, someone observing the situation should be able to spot the attacker preparing something and have the possibility to intervene.
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ
BXVIII: GFM HQ

Arradin
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Post by Arradin » 14 Nov 2016, 10:36

vinni wrote:For LARP purposes, it would be advisable to need an object that can be found during a search and needs to be manipulated in order to perform a knifekill.

Someone without a knife shouldn't be able to do a knifekill, or shaking someone's hand, saying 'knifekill' and then showing a knife in your back pocket.
Even if it's a piano wire, someone observing the situation should be able to spot the attacker preparing something and have the possibility to intervene.
this is already how it works.

For me, a knife kill has always been a way to kill soneone at very short distances, and has always been more of a safety issue than anything else. For example. you want to kill someone who is shot, but instead of risking stuf by shoting him again point blank, you knifekill.

Out of LARP perspecive, Knife kill is extremely boring, and as i mentioned earlier noone of the LARP Groups very rarely use it at all.

my personal opinion is that things are fine as is :)
Please send ticket & payment questions to:

payment@berget-events.com

Windi^
Captain
Captain

Post by Windi^ » 14 Nov 2016, 12:01

NIN wrote:We have a rule about players never having knives on their person visible, instead it should be neatly tucked away inside your pack.
What? Since when? How do you enforce this? Why do you have a rule that no one enforces? I always carry my knife on a belt, and my Leatherman too. We are in a forest environment, you never know when you are going to need either of these. These are never to be used for any gaming or anything, but I will carry them nonetheless. Never ever go in to the woods or similar without some kind of a knife.
B5, FFF Turku-2 Squad leader
B6, SRP Snake 1-0 Platoon leader
B7, SRP Bull 1-0 Platoon leader
B8, Civilian, 6mm merc
B9, UN, 6mm Company, 1st PLT leader
B10, Zanzia, Delta plt, Link officer
B12, Yuri Orlov Mercenaries
B14, NAF HQ Intel S2
B15, NAF HQ Intel S2
B16, UPIR HQ QRF
B17, GFM ODA3

Wynn
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wynn » 25 Nov 2016, 09:35

Ok, I just read Berget Rules and I saw no mention that real knives are banned from being carried on person. I have heard rumours of this rule since berget 8 when one of your gm's complained about my non sharp bayonet that I had on a shoulder strap of my harness.

If it is a rule, why is it not in the rules.

I estimate 95% of finnish players carry a knife and/or multitool during the game because it is an important tool in the forest.

As to the knife kill rules, in Berget 9 we had a civilian assassinate the town elder in the middle of our PMC group with an nonexistant knife and when questioned about it and "searched" he said he didn't have a knife, therefore not giving us any proof that he did it, even when we saw him grab the elder's shoulder and whisper something to him just before.
Last edited by Wynn on 30 Nov 2016, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
- Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Berget 5 FFF Medic
Berget 6 SRP Medic
Berget 8 1/1st Poldavian Comms officer
Berget 9 The Firm office personnel / ZBO O-06
Berget 13 Cerberus

Corni
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Corni » 26 Nov 2016, 12:56

We are all spending somewhat four days in the woods and are camping. Of course everyone carries a utility/Army knife.

Nevertheless this thread as I understand it, is about allowing rubber knifes as well.
Rubber/plasik knifes were forbitten because everyone probably is already carrying a real knife and confusions can occur.
To be honest with somewhat 1800 Players on the field somebody is going to to something stupid eventually. I guarantee it
Which is why I'd vote for keeping the hand rule.

Greez Corni
B12/ Orlvov Mercs/ Echo/ Robin-3
B13/ GCT Inf/ 3rd Pl.
B14/ NAF Inf/ Echo-1
B15/ UPIR HWD
B16/ NAF Mech/ Golf-3
B17/ TFC Mech/ Golf-40

I like big BAVS and I cannot lie...

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 26 Nov 2016, 13:17

@wynn

language check! don't go calling names in internet fury. u can still be polite when complaining

Kiitos!
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

Wynn
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wynn » 30 Nov 2016, 11:12

@crapgame will edit the text then, sorry if I offended anyone. Still, if the knife ban on the field is a rule, it should be in the rules. I don't want to get thrown out of a game because of a rule that is not IN THE RULES.
- Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Berget 5 FFF Medic
Berget 6 SRP Medic
Berget 8 1/1st Poldavian Comms officer
Berget 9 The Firm office personnel / ZBO O-06
Berget 13 Cerberus

Windi^
Captain
Captain

Post by Windi^ » 30 Nov 2016, 16:51

Wynn wrote:@crapgame will edit the text then, sorry if I offended anyone. Still, if the knife ban on the field is a rule, it should be in the rules. I don't want to get thrown out of a game because of a rule that is not IN THE RULES.
Again, this would be yet another rule that no one will enforce, thus making it a rule is stupid. There shouldn't be any problems to carry a knife on your belt, it poses as much risk as having your own fists still attached to your arms. There is real issues to attend rule wise, I hope no one will create a problem from a item that really isn't and haven't been a problem.
B5, FFF Turku-2 Squad leader
B6, SRP Snake 1-0 Platoon leader
B7, SRP Bull 1-0 Platoon leader
B8, Civilian, 6mm merc
B9, UN, 6mm Company, 1st PLT leader
B10, Zanzia, Delta plt, Link officer
B12, Yuri Orlov Mercenaries
B14, NAF HQ Intel S2
B15, NAF HQ Intel S2
B16, UPIR HQ QRF
B17, GFM ODA3