Did you get the epidemic cold at B6?

Topics and things concerning this game and your experience and memories.
Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 11 Jul 2008, 12:07

motörhead wrote: According to my doctor it's a virus-based cold, resulting in snot and lung-slime needing heavy coughing...
...if the slime-coughing persist more than two weeks I'll be put on antibiotika like penicillin or something like that.
Anti-biotica against a virus? :x
That doesn't do any good, actually it's only bad for you. Though i'm quite sure you are aware of this, it's sad that many people fail to realise that anti-biotica is not against virus and only usefull against bacteria (which you should be able to tell by the name honestly).
B5. Russia.
OC2. Militia.
B6. NATO, Bravo coy, 3rd Plt commander
B7. Milos tigers, Sibiria coy, 3rd Plt commander
B8. Poldavian Psy-Ops, Plt commander
B9. UN, Coy commander

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 11 Jul 2008, 14:26

Eldoriath wrote:
motörhead wrote: According to my doctor it's a virus-based cold, resulting in snot and lung-slime needing heavy coughing...
...if the slime-coughing persist more than two weeks I'll be put on antibiotika like penicillin or something like that.
Anti-biotica against a virus? :x
That doesn't do any good, actually it's only bad for you. Though i'm quite sure you are aware of this, it's sad that many people fail to realise that anti-biotica is not against virus and only usefull against bacteria (which you should be able to tell by the name honestly).
My bad. Of course we don't use that against virus, but it's not good that so many of us have to stay home from work after getting infected by a hefty cold gathered from a Swedish event. Makes one reflect over one's health and maybe the sanitary conditions a bit. I don't mind living "back to basic" in the field, but this is rather serious for me as an employee anyhow.
Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

Kartoon
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Kartoon » 12 Jul 2008, 09:14

I was sick when coming to the event. The first two days I basically worked pumping myself with swedish ibuprofeine(worked nicely). The cold, sleepless nights and running in the woods for days made me eventually feel a lot better but maybe some of you work the opposite :D

My opinion: People get sick. If you have to be away from work and there is no coverage for sickness(so you don't get payed for your sick leave) then too bad, you could've got sick at home as well.

On a side note, as I told you I was sick coming to the event and I left it there, maybe you got it from me? :P
Mikko Läntinen
Berget 6 - SRP, XO
Berget 7 - SRP, XO
Berget 8 - Poldavian 1st Infantry
Berget 9 - The Firm - Operations manager

Berget 15 - FinBat XO

Jojis
Private
Private

Post by Jojis » 12 Jul 2008, 12:00

I (SRP) lost my voice in the final day after too much shouting. After that I guess I got too vulnerable in the throat and got the same sickness. Green slime running from nose and throat even still today (2 weeks now). Propably there were something in the air or ground I wasn't immune enough for, don't know how you got it so easily though.

Dre@mz
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Dre@mz » 13 Jul 2008, 13:02

Baron wrote:Nothing reported from the UN base as far as I know.
We where only 37 people and I didn't hear anything of the people being inffected.
Negative!

OC, Bravo Romeo SL got some kind of bacteria... acting like a cold... we went to a pharmacie during B6 and he took some shots during the week, back in Portugal.

Nothing serious...

StaG
Newbee
Newbee

Post by StaG » 14 Jul 2008, 06:45

Not trying to piss anyone off, but when it comes to spending several days in the woods sleeping in tents etc. the organizers can only do so much if the players themselves have not taken measures to make sure they stay fit throught the game. Some basic things to remember:

1. Try to avoid cotton underwear. Cotton is not the best material when it comes to transmitting moisture from the skin.
2. If you are using a sleeping bag (Which you should!), take off as much clothing as possible before going in, and change your underwear/any additional clothing to a clean, dry set. This helps with staying warm and staying warm helps you get a good sleep.
3. The most important thing is to try to stay warm and dry. Layering clothes to match the ambient temperature is not only for super-geardos, even the most rugged shit-guerilla can do it!

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 14 Jul 2008, 09:36

StaG,

You're almost right there. You forgot that it was pretty warm at day time. At those times some people had to sleep as well. I've heard people tell about waking up - soaking wet, because of the sweat! coming out of your sleeping bag in that condition will not help avoiding the colder atmosphere around you.
Staying dry is something you have to learn this way. Don't get wet because of the sweat also - in those cases it would be wise te get rid of that sleeping bag to stay dry.

Bloodhound
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bloodhound » 14 Jul 2008, 11:02

Nope!!

Just lost some weight but that's a positive side effect :D
-----Berget 6 - NATO Forces - Golf 1------

-----DARKWORLD AIRSOFT SQUAD-------

--------Royal Dutch Navy Reserve---------

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 15 Jul 2008, 12:16

I get a cold too and an allergic réaction too something, but a little ibuprofene and an anti-istaminic pills make the deal :)

:p
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

jofred
Newbee
Newbee

Post by jofred » 15 Jul 2008, 13:39

Nato Fox 5

Yep sure did got the running nose, green slime from throat.
Better now but it lasted 2 weeks.

StaG
Newbee
Newbee

Post by StaG » 15 Jul 2008, 14:09

WhiteAce wrote:StaG,

You're almost right there. You forgot that it was pretty warm at day time. At those times some people had to sleep as well. I've heard people tell about waking up - soaking wet, because of the sweat! coming out of your sleeping bag in that condition will not help avoiding the colder atmosphere around you.

Staying dry is something you have to learn this way. Don't get wet because of the sweat also - in those cases it would be wise te get rid of that sleeping bag to stay dry.
Yes, you are correct.
I composed the message in a hurry, hence the lack of thoroughness in my explanation. Cotton t-shirts etc. absorb a lot of sweat and as such is an uncomfortable factor when the temperature goes down for the night.

It is also true that one would be wise to avoid sleeping inside a hot tent, or in a sleeping bag during the hot daytime. One would be wise to put even short breaks between missions to good use, if there is nothing important to do:

Oh, and a quick tip:

T-shirts and underwear made from moisture-transferring materials, for example the US army ACU-undershirt, are really good for multi-day operations. I hadn't bothered with such stuff before Berget, but gathering from the experiences there, I will not overlook such important points in the future!

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 15 Jul 2008, 15:06

StaG wrote: T-shirts and underwear made from moisture-transferring materials, for example the US army ACU-undershirt, are really good for multi-day operations. I hadn't bothered with such stuff before Berget, but gathering from the experiences there, I will not overlook such important points in the future!
Or maybe more expensive but work very very well is a Under-Armour tshirt

and underwear

there's some for hot weather and cold weather.

It could dry (all wet of swet) in around 5 minutes in the sun or in the wind,

I wear one hot weather tshirt, plus swedish long tshirt, under bdu jacket and TLBV, the only day I have ill it was when I put too much hot clothe on me.

The other probleme is during night time (midnight to 8 am). It's hot when you play or you walk but it's cold when you stay put, if you put too much hot clothe for waiting time, you have get rid of hot things to go on patrol or in the battle.

Theres not enought temperature difference in the forest than in the base.

I think next year I will by some cold weather under-armour for night time and some hot weather underarmour for day time !
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem

Windi^
Captain
Captain

Post by Windi^ » 15 Jul 2008, 15:41

Fleece fabrics are also good. They are warm and still transfer moisture well. I used Zensah underwear at day times and when I was sleeping and fleece underwear during evening/night and that worked very well.
B5, FFF Turku-2 Squad leader
B6, SRP Snake 1-0 Platoon leader
B7, SRP Bull 1-0 Platoon leader
B8, Civilian, 6mm merc
B9, UN, 6mm Company, 1st PLT leader
B10, Zanzia, Delta plt, Link officer
B12, Yuri Orlov Mercenaries
B14, NAF HQ Intel S2
B15, NAF HQ Intel S2
B16, UPIR HQ QRF
B17, GFM ODA3

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 15 Jul 2008, 22:26

vardemis wrote:

Could you give us a link on where to buy this stuff! It sounds really great!

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 15 Jul 2008, 23:36

WhiteAce wrote:
vardemis wrote:

Could you give us a link on where to buy this stuff! It sounds really great!
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens/ta ... 005383-390
use by the usmc :) but not by me :)

this
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens/ta ... 005039-390
It's what I wear during the all game !
it's a compression tshirt. That's not make you beatiful :)

like :

second skin but it makes your little default up to be seen

Take a look to the tactical product line ;)

but
http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,93820,00.html

beaware that high temperature or flame are not welcome
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem