Question about rules around diplomats

Topics and things concerning this game and your experience and memories.
Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Question about rules around diplomats

Post by Tystnad » 11 Jul 2008, 12:36

Well, ever since my first contact with the diplomat(s?) in the game, Ive been wondering on how to counter them at the times you KNOW they are selling false information and/or spying on you for another fraction. These thoughts made me wonder about wether or not a diplomat could be claimed persona non grata in the game or not? I mean, it is used as a means of "punishing" suspected diplomats in the real world, and if I KNOW that a diplomat aint gonna be good news for my fraction, can I go ahead and name him PNG, strip him of his rights of visiting my camp?

Food for thoughts, just wondering what you guys (no need to answer if you didnt get in contact with the diplomats. question is mainly asked yo BE and 0-A/0-B in NATO HQ, but other can reply if it has to do with the subject at hand) think of this whole matter? I mean, I cant be the only one who felt uncomfortable with having a diplomat in base, not being able to just kick him out when we knew we didnt want to have anything to do with him?

waffelke
Captain
Captain

Re: Question about rules around diplomats

Post by waffelke » 11 Jul 2008, 12:52

Tystnad wrote:Well, ever since my first contact with the diplomat(s?) in the game, Ive been wondering on how to counter them at the times you KNOW they are selling false information and/or spying on you for another fraction. These thoughts made me wonder about wether or not a diplomat could be claimed persona non grata in the game or not? I mean, it is used as a means of "punishing" suspected diplomats in the real world, and if I KNOW that a diplomat aint gonna be good news for my fraction, can I go ahead and name him PNG, strip him of his rights of visiting my camp?

Food for thoughts, just wondering what you guys (no need to answer if you didnt get in contact with the diplomats. question is mainly asked yo BE and 0-A/0-B in NATO HQ, but other can reply if it has to do with the subject at hand) think of this whole matter? I mean, I cant be the only one who felt uncomfortable with having a diplomat in base, not being able to just kick him out when we knew we didnt want to have anything to do with him?

not always i was giving fake info,but my role was to spy for the conrads
i was a conrad all the time(ok i was corupt but a merc)
yes you could shoot mee (bieng schot a honderd times )
but the commanders all sides were corupt to :D
you had the chance to bay thing from me to (tanks,cocaine,wapens,pils)
and on this i was a dealer to all camps
and all sides used my servise :D also nato
and yes they had the right to not let me in kamp and thay did it to(nato)
(sorry no tanks for you or at4)
bet yes you could punnisch en strip me all the time(is bieng don 4 times)
even from the police
in real life no i dont think you can do that,but a lot of diplomats are spy or corupt even in the cold war and now
:D
B9 I Am BACK
THE DIPLOMAT berget6
"you can trust me"
spetsnazcommander berget 5

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 11 Jul 2008, 12:56

I think youre missing the core of the question: Are we, as a force and fraction in the game, allowed to deem you persona non grata (latin for unwelcome person), according to the Geneva convention, Article 9 Section 1?

waffelke
Captain
Captain

Post by waffelke » 11 Jul 2008, 13:50

sorry no :D
B9 I Am BACK
THE DIPLOMAT berget6
"you can trust me"
spetsnazcommander berget 5

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 11 Jul 2008, 14:09

Crew input on this? I mean, it is the right of the hosting country, and if we (NATO) are repressenting Liburnia, arent we allowed to take actions that are in that countries interest?

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 11 Jul 2008, 15:11

Am I correct to assume that the only way to aquire a tank or AT4 anti-tank weapons for NATO was through this shady diplomat-character?
I heard our sentries encountered this diplomat on the radio while I was on guard duty and I had no idea how to handle such a situation.

I'm aware this is only an airsoft-game and totally fictional, but even so - I feel we must think a little more about what we do and signal to the public through this forum.

LARP or not, it wouldn't hurt to remove such ghastly unrealistic elements. Mercs or SRP could relate to that kind of "weapon business", but NATO or UN? NATO doesn't bargain for tanks or anti-tank-weapons in their theatre of operations IRL, and UN don't go rogue IRL as attempted to roleplay at B6. NATO and UN are international service brand names and should be used with appropriate care and a certain respect in airsoft. Or else we may risk controversial media coverage when Berget grows really big.

2000 players at B7 is a lot of military kit in one place and may gather unwanted media interest. It doesn't look good if we are portrayed executing a diplomat, if you see my concern. Us airsofters between - no big deal - but pictured in some tabloid or ditto we'd look like idiots. That's unwanted publicity, so let that diplomat behave with certain realism and don't force airsoft NATO or UN units into too delicate sitiations ingame, with respect to their namesakes' serious business IRL.

Just my thoughts.

YMMV..;-)
Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

tom_sk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by tom_sk » 12 Jul 2008, 11:22

you could buy guns ans stuff from different persons, not only from waffelke. some of them had their missions (similar to "sell the tank to mercs for at least 500.000 berget dollars")

as far as the "diplomat rules" are concerned, you could just stop him (as any other player in the game for that matter), kick him out of the base, kill him, or just tell him not to come again.

I think it comes down to what respective leader/commander decides - if he feels dealing with diplomat does not make sense anymore, he could simply order his people to kick diplomat out of the base, imprison him or just kill him. I don't see a point in making specific rules for diplomats, they were just players like the rest of us :)
you have already deleted my account twice, thank you!

Baron
Captain
Captain

Post by Baron » 13 Jul 2008, 12:45

We had the Diplomat in our base, UN base, but many of the troopers wern't allowed to communicate with him and thus couldn't make out much from him. He walked into the command tent and vanished behind closed curtains and talked to the Bace Commander.

Naturally he was stopped at the gate and asked if we could strip search him, he complied. His bodyguards held weapons and than only some of them where let inside the compound. The UN troopers didn't have much contact with him, except for the higher ups.

We had no clue what he and the higher ups talked about or how it could benefit the UN.

We would however not shoot him. Nor did we shoot anyone else unless they really posed a threat and didn't stop when asked or leaved when asked.

A base should have the ability to tell the Diplomat to no longer visit that particular base. If you placed him under persona non grata that would mean his diplomatic work would be finished during Berget 6. I would go with the fact that you can put him in Prison for a time till you have evidance of him doing suspiocus work or simply tell him to no longer come back and inform all allies of your concern.

Naturally this decision comes from the Commander and should not be said by a trooper. It may be voiced for the Commanders ears but he is the one who makes the choice.
B15: Platoon Commander (NAF Mech)
B14: Platoon Commander (NAF Mech)
B13: Commander (GCT Mech)
B12: Platoon Commander (UniSec Mech)
B11: Medic (GCT)
B10: Medic (PSYOPS)
B9: Medic (UN)
B8: Medic (PSYOPS) - Civilian Medic
B7: Medic (Nato)
B6: Medic (United Nations)
B5: Medic (Swedish Forces)

meathead
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by meathead » 02 Sep 2008, 19:07

Baron wrote:We had the Diplomat in our base, UN base, but many of the troopers wern't allowed to communicate with him and thus couldn't make out much from him. He walked into the command tent and vanished behind closed curtains and talked to the Bace Commander.

Naturally he was stopped at the gate and asked if we could strip search him, he complied. His bodyguards held weapons and than only some of them where let inside the compound. The UN troopers didn't have much contact with him, except for the higher ups.

We had no clue what he and the higher ups talked about or how it could benefit the UN.

We would however not shoot him. Nor did we shoot anyone else unless they really posed a threat and didn't stop when asked or leaved when asked.

A base should have the ability to tell the Diplomat to no longer visit that particular base. If you placed him under persona non grata that would mean his diplomatic work would be finished during Berget 6. I would go with the fact that you can put him in Prison for a time till you have evidance of him doing suspiocus work or simply tell him to no longer come back and inform all allies of your concern.

Naturally this decision comes from the Commander and should not be said by a trooper. It may be voiced for the Commanders ears but he is the one who makes the choice.
Hell, even I was att the UN camp as the UN commanders guest. That was very nice of him not to try to arrest me as the war criminal he thought i was.

He he he...

Meathead alias Gen Conrad Grant
OPCR 2,3 / B5, B6,B7
B8 - Not playing