Sleeping & Eating

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
Kartoon
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Kartoon » 24 Oct 2009, 23:57

Junior wrote:
In this thread's context I would recommend to buy food on Berget or use the food tickets.
MRE's are cool if you're into hardcore milsim, and a necessity if you're going to be on the field most of the time but not in a permanent base where you got food.
Get real food!

Also, do get an energy drink (Not redbull!!!) in you canteen, hydration bladder, a bottle or whatever.
Beside of the hard work of cleaning it later you will get tired of it's taste and not have another option.
You can however, as wired as it sounds, switch the canteen (or whatever solution you choose) with your teammate, and both of you will enjoy the benefits of both the drinks.

I'd say don't put anything else than water in a hydration bladder, such as Camelbak or Source. These bladders are meant for water only and you might end up ruining it if you do not wash it properly. They do not react well to sugar or chemicals.

Instead have your water in your bladder, and keep a separate canteen for any type of sports drink or whatnot. I usually keep a regenerating sports drink back at the base that I will empty during the evening before hitting the hay. It will help with restoring my energy level for the next day.

Foodwise we need to remember there are other options than MREs and BE food. Last Berget I saw people eat their BE provided food warm ONCE. This was not only because they were out on the field at the time of the arrival of the meals, but also because regulating this was hard as the deliveries were made irregularily.
You can easily make your own food on site. Most of us use different sorts of field stoves, the most popular propably being the swedish Trangia. Basically only your imagination (and enthusiasm) is the limit regarding what you can make yourself.
For example many times I need fast energy, so I eat a pasta of some sorts. But because I don't want the energy level to wear down too quickly I add meat. Salami, spam, canned meatballs or whatnot.
You can mix and match so you don't get bored with your food. You can make yourself a nutricious porage in the morning or go with noodles.

I do understand though, that when you travel thousands of klicks to berget, you will think twice about what you really need because you don't want to carry everything with you, and food adds A LOT of weight. So that's easily a no go for many long distance travellers. This applies to MREs as well so you really have to think about the pros and cons before you decide.

BE food:
+no stress about food, its made for you
+price isn't half bad
+warm if lucky
+no need to carry food while traveling
-cold if unlucky
-cant decide what u eat
-cant decide when u eat

MREs
+fast and easy
+almost tasty ;)
+eat when u want to eat
-gets repetitive very quickly
-expensive
-adds weight to your backpack

Field stove cooking
+sky's the limit for what u can make
+u can make food when ever u want it
+cooking is therapeutic
+easy at best
-food and stove adds weight to your backpack
-you actually do have to make something to heat your food ;)
-washing the dishes is always very offputting
-don't pair up with the commander. He will be running around and you end up doing his food too! :D

Whatever u eat for meals, always carry snacks in your vest to boost your energy level. Also, in guard duty, when it's raining and you're freezing nothing makes you feel better than candy. When I was in the military and I felt like crap crawling knee deep in snow in the middle of the night in -15 degrees celcius its amazing what difference some gummy bears can make :wink: Thank god for gummy bears, or whoever invented them. I don't think it was god :P
Mikko Läntinen
Berget 6 - SRP, XO
Berget 7 - SRP, XO
Berget 8 - Poldavian 1st Infantry
Berget 9 - The Firm - Operations manager

Berget 15 - FinBat XO

Junior
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Junior » 25 Oct 2009, 18:54

Kartoon wrote: Instead have your water in your bladder, and keep a separate canteen for any type of sports drink or whatnot. I usually keep a regenerating sports drink back at the base that I will empty during the evening before hitting the hay. It will help with restoring my energy level for the next day.
I personally can't bear a whole day drinking only water.
Of course everyone should drink what they like and need.
Kartoon wrote: Foodwise we need to remember there are other options than MREs and BE food. Last Berget I saw people eat their BE provided food warm ONCE. This was not only because they were out on the field at the time of the arrival of the meals, but also because regulating this was hard as the deliveries were made irregularily.
You can easily make your own food on site. Most of us use different sorts of field stoves, the most popular propably being the swedish Trangia. Basically only your imagination (and enthusiasm) is the limit regarding what you can make yourself.
Why not enjoy both? :D

I'll bring a stove and ask for BE food.
That way I can have it warm even when BE supply it cold.
And I think that BE should add the "Wives of the warriors" to the game, and they'll bring the food closer to the warzone :)

Kartoon wrote:When I was in the military and I felt like crap crawling knee deep in snow in the middle of the night in -15 degrees celcius its amazing what difference some gummy bears can make :wink: Thank god for gummy bears, or whoever invented them. I don't think it was god :P
GUMMY BEARS !!! :lol:

westi
Newbee
Newbee

Post by westi » 01 Nov 2010, 22:12

dunno if this is the right thread for this Q...
but can I sleep with my gun?
(please spare me all jokes :) )

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 01 Nov 2010, 22:24

westi wrote:dunno if this is the right thread for this Q...
That should not be a question... it's your obligation to do so soldier!!! 8)
Berget 5: 2IC Spetsnaz.
Berget 6: CoyCO NATO Golf coy.
Berget 7: PtnCO 2nd platoon 2nd coy
Berget 8: 3rd Rangers Battalion:
Berget 10: Co of NAF forces

pivo-lasko
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pivo-lasko » 02 Nov 2010, 07:51

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

at BE u sleep, shit, piss, eat and drink in-game.

preferably with a gun or at least a sidearm.
berget veteran

B5, B7, B8, B9

Weasel
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Weasel » 02 Nov 2010, 09:34

Sure you can, but safety-wise this is not the best thing you can do. Why?
1. Inside tents, people move around without their protective glasses/goggles
2. It is cramped enough inside even without a dozen guns.

With or without gun in the tent, you are dead the moment the enemy taps the canvas, lifts the flap and says “safety kill” to all inside. Remember – NO shooting IN the tents, incoming or outgoing.
Most often players keep their guns on make-shift racks right next to the tent.

westi
Newbee
Newbee

Post by westi » 02 Nov 2010, 09:37

ok! think i got it! :)
just so that we're clear - it's ok to keep my m4 real close as I sleep, safe and with no mag of course...?
like "in-my-sleeping-bag-close"

foxone
Corporal
Corporal

Post by foxone » 02 Nov 2010, 09:37

If im not totally wrong,the rules say you even have to sleep with googles..so im sure nobody is going to walk around in the tents without them either :?:
aka Titan

Berget 9 NAF 6th Airborne
Berget 10 NAF 23rd Infantry

Weasel
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Weasel » 02 Nov 2010, 09:48

Well guys, it’s up to you if you want to complicate your lives.
To me it’s better to eliminate a risk, than to take time and effort to securities against it.
What you do in your sleeping bag is not my business … at all.

All I want to say is that keeping guns inside has very little to no tactical value (unlike in real-world situations). On the contrary – it takes extra time to manipulate your gun, it takes precious space, it reduces physical and mental comfort in the few hours you rest.
Last edited by Weasel on 02 Nov 2010, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Windi^
Captain
Captain

Post by Windi^ » 02 Nov 2010, 09:49

foxone wrote:If im not totally wrong,the rules say you even have to sleep with googles..so im sure nobody is going to walk around in the tents without them either :?:
You're not wrong. But still, shooting in to, or out from, the tents, it is not allowed in any situation.

We did sleep with our rifles for two reasons:
1. Keep the gun dry and as warm as possible (battery for instance is really good to keep warm)
2. Keep the guns safe from thieves etc (hopefully none of these kind of persons never attend BE games, but still, better to be sure than sorry)

Just remove your magazine before entering the tent and preferably battery also to make it extra safe. And NO fiddling with the weapon inside the tent, just put the gun where you want it in the tent and no fiddling with it, only time you touch it inside the tent is when you are about to leave the tent.
B5, FFF Turku-2 Squad leader
B6, SRP Snake 1-0 Platoon leader
B7, SRP Bull 1-0 Platoon leader
B8, Civilian, 6mm merc
B9, UN, 6mm Company, 1st PLT leader
B10, Zanzia, Delta plt, Link officer
B12, Yuri Orlov Mercenaries
B14, NAF HQ Intel S2
B15, NAF HQ Intel S2
B16, UPIR HQ QRF
B17, GFM ODA3

pivo-lasko
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pivo-lasko » 02 Nov 2010, 17:55

Windi^ wrote:
foxone wrote:If im not totally wrong,the rules say you even have to sleep with googles..so im sure nobody is going to walk around in the tents without them either :?:
You're not wrong. But still, shooting in to, or out from, the tents, it is not allowed in any situation.

We did sleep with our rifles for two reasons:
1. Keep the gun dry and as warm as possible (battery for instance is really good to keep warm)
2. Keep the guns safe from thieves etc (hopefully none of these kind of persons never attend BE games, but still, better to be sure than sorry)

Just remove your magazine before entering the tent and preferably battery also to make it extra safe. And NO fiddling with the weapon inside the tent, just put the gun where you want it in the tent and no fiddling with it, only time you touch it inside the tent is when you are about to leave the tent.
3rd reason: keep hop-up rubber in as stable enviroment as possible (dont leave the gun exposed to the elements before going to sleep) or it wont work properly for quite some time
berget veteran

B5, B7, B8, B9

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 02 Nov 2010, 18:29

reason 4: if you're in your sleeping bag before 0300, you got your weapon close by when some people are trying to f*ck up your sleep :P
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ
BXVIII: GFM HQ

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 02 Nov 2010, 19:33

last berget i had only my underwear on me inside the tent and still i was up, out and in full kit and glasses on before alot of other player sleeping in full kit...

about stealing, unfortune enough it happens..a swedish player lost his really expensive gun at B7. i dont trust anyone other then the players in my team.
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

Cosmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Cosmo » 04 Nov 2010, 01:31

A bit offtopic, but last Berget in Naf23, me and my fellow countrymen we left all our guns outside, just covered by a rainproof material, stacked side by side on a wooden 'fence' we made. Wasent the smartest thing, but nothing got stolen and evreything still worked in the end. Luck favors the bold? :D
B10 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Second Squad
B9 - NAF6 - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon
B8 - NAF23 - Foxtrot Company - Third Platoon - Bravo Squad
B7 - NATO - Foxtrot Company - Fourth Platoon - Bravo Squad

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 04 Nov 2010, 10:10

FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BOLD my friend

B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne