Weather & clothing..

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 06 Nov 2009, 17:04

Spof wrote:During Berget 5, we had +3 and rain one night. So keep in mind that the temprature can be very low during nights if the weather gets bad.

Better to have a good sleepingbag and sleep without it (if to hot), rather then freeze your ass off in a to light sleepingbag.
Correct... I was there and took some 50 players the first evening/night... They were all "supposed" to be Spetsnaz forces.... and then it started raining. It grew cold and not all (hardly any) had a raincoat with them, let alone decent warm cloth.
We didn't skip the mission but about 25 had to retreat because it was too cold/wet for them... The rest succesfully finished the job - they were prepared well!

NIN could conferm this... he was the GM with us.
Berget 5: 2IC Spetsnaz.
Berget 6: CoyCO NATO Golf coy.
Berget 7: PtnCO 2nd platoon 2nd coy
Berget 8: 3rd Rangers Battalion:
Berget 10: Co of NAF forces

Stena
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Stena » 07 Nov 2009, 00:18

WhiteAce wrote:
Spof wrote:During Berget 5, we had +3 and rain one night. So keep in mind that the temprature can be very low during nights if the weather gets bad.

Better to have a good sleepingbag and sleep without it (if to hot), rather then freeze your ass off in a to light sleepingbag.
Correct... I was there and took some 50 players the first evening/night... They were all "supposed" to be Spetsnaz forces.... and then it started raining. It grew cold and not all (hardly any) had a raincoat with them, let alone decent warm cloth.
We didn't skip the mission but about 25 had to retreat because it was too cold/wet for them... The rest succesfully finished the job - they were prepared well!

NIN could conferm this... he was the GM with us.
This subject is so F-ing incomprehendable to me. I really try but I can not understand how can people come unprepared for something like this. My God! Prepare for everything!

I just had to say this, I know it will be deleted.
Tactical Medic

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 10 May 2010, 17:06

This is one of the most important post. Prepare yourself for EVERYTHING!!!
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

Brambles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Brambles » 28 Mar 2011, 21:16

quick question, would anyone be able to tell me how many sets of uniforms would be needed for a berget game based on their previous experiences? :)
B9 - NAF 3rd Rangers, Bravo 4
B10 - NAF 3rd Rangers, Archer 2
B12 - GCT Rangers, Bravo 2
B14 - NAF Infantry, Echo 4
B15 - NAF Infantry, Charlie 4
B17 - TBC

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 28 Mar 2011, 21:35

I used one only all 4 Berget games I went to. Reason was that we travelled by car over a long distance and took a lot of stuff in those cars.

But two sets would make good sence :D
Berget 5: 2IC Spetsnaz.
Berget 6: CoyCO NATO Golf coy.
Berget 7: PtnCO 2nd platoon 2nd coy
Berget 8: 3rd Rangers Battalion:
Berget 10: Co of NAF forces

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 28 Mar 2011, 22:16

i`ve used 2 pairs of trousers and 1 smock but i have had in my pack;

2 pairs of trousers DPM
1 smock DPM
1 summershirt DPM

only reason for changing trousers was last years rain and mud.
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

Talisman
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Talisman » 31 Mar 2011, 13:57

You dont have to bring a lot of clothing to Berget.
For my self Im bringing the following:
2+1 boxers
4 pair of socks
3 t-shirts
1 warm sweater
1 Technical BDU

Maybe:
Poncho
Extra pair of boots
Extra BDU

You need to dress for what you are doing. In this case we are going to live in the outdoors for 3-4 days, and much gear is not needed. Get packed and dressed for a typical Swedish summer with long walks and waiting.
Its going to get hot, there is a chance of rain and if you are sweating a lot when the temperature drops around midnight; it could get cold.

The most important items you bring is a warm sweater and socks. Nothing is better than changing your socks when they are full of stank.
And if you are wet or generally cold when the temperature hits the bottom, it is also great to have a warm sweater.

T-shirts get wet, and need to get changed out. These can also be dried on the outside of the sweater. Boxer has 4 sides if needed :cooltank: , but is not recommended in this scenario.
Strand

"A suspicious mind is a healthy mind"
"He who stands with me shall be my brother"

Berget 7 - NATO, OSCAR 1, DELTA (5)
Berget 9 - Pol. 3rd Montaineers, Recon, 5-2

Klings
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Klings » 31 Mar 2011, 17:16

if you have a real deal military uniform, you need only one. cheap replicas are not recomended.

I have one real deal uniform and a goretex uniform in case of rain.
68th Poldavian Strategic Submarine Group
www.facebook.com/TeamFlecktarn

Talisman
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Talisman » 31 Mar 2011, 19:01

In my case, I would rather use a poncho or just my normal BDU than a 250€ goretex jacket.
But yes, If you have the posebility to use a goretex unifrom when it rains it is recommended. But here many goretex uniforms are weak against branches and other pointy objects.

Just to clearify, the two uniforms that were mentions differ. A technical jacket and a normal, depending on the situasion.
Strand

Buffel
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Buffel » 31 Mar 2011, 22:24

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a technical jacket?
Strike 1 for wildlife: Cape Buffalo are said to have killed more big game hunters than any other animal :D

Berget 9: Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers
Berget 10: Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers

Talisman
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Talisman » 01 Apr 2011, 00:42

Here is a link:
http://miltrad.no/webshop/index.jsp?act ... e.item=455
This very item is a norwegian technical shirt.
Its made for having under a bulletproof vest, and is very comfy on bare skin in warm weather.
Strand

skinner
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by skinner » 01 Apr 2011, 05:32

Uff...I thought it's something special but it's just a regular combat shirt :D
A riflescope reticle is also someone's point of view
Berget-8 - NAF 5th Infantry Battalion
Berget-9 - NAF 3rd Ranger Battalion
Berget-10 - NAF 3rd Ranger Battalion
Berget-12 - will wear Multicam

Buffel
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Buffel » 01 Apr 2011, 06:59

Talisman wrote:Here is a link:
http://miltrad.no/webshop/index.jsp?act ... e.item=455
This very item is a norwegian technical shirt.
Its made for having under a bulletproof vest, and is very comfy on bare skin in warm weather.
Ah, okay. I'd have called it an UBACS (Under Body Armour CombAt Shirt). And I see your point, they are nice in hot weather.
Strike 1 for wildlife: Cape Buffalo are said to have killed more big game hunters than any other animal :D

Berget 9: Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers
Berget 10: Poldavian 3rd Mountaineers

Robman
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Robman » 01 Apr 2011, 08:19

Keep in mind that it is better to bring too much than too little. However, the problem doesn't arise when you are sitting in camp. The time you realize that the weather sucks is when you are 2 hours into mission and 1km+ from camp.

Your AVERAGE airsoft players play small skirmishes that take about an hour and are within 100+ meters of their gear. So one typically packs extra BBs, spare battery, and water. And the AVERAGE player is loaded down with cumbersome "authentic-looking" gear.

One can always control their ROF, but no one can control the weather. So, here is my suggestion for Berget based on my service with an arctic unit in the US Army:

- Small 1-day pack with 1-liter drinking bladder (Camelback). A 3-day pack is too large.
- 1 extra dri-quik t-shirt
- 1 extra pair of socks that prevents blisters
- 1 extra pair of sock liners that reduce friction
- set of bicycling arm and leg sleeves. They are made of spandex material and roll on past the knee or elbow
- 1 lightweight rain jacket with armpit vents/zippers (most outdoor companies make them in solid black, green, or brown)
- 1 dri-quik skull cap

Pack all items in seperate zip-loc bags and squeeze all the air out before you close the bags. Total weight (minus water) is approximately 5 lbs (2.5 kg).

The skull cap and roll on sleeves are designed to trap the heat surrounding major areas of blood flow and will maximize warmth. And they are easy to roll on. And since they are made of stretchy spandex, they will slide over boots as well. One only needs to pull up the limbs of your uniform.

And one more additional thought for you guys wondering what to wear: go with a low-profile chest rig or LBE that carries at least 6 extra magazines. Forget the plate carriers, SAPI inserts, real kevlar helmets, and the 8 extra MOLLE pouches! When you're hit... you're HIT! A plate carrier isn't going to protect you; it only helps you look cool and weighs you down. Also leave the drop leg holster and pistol at home. A drop leg holster only causes a severe rash and you'll lose your pistol magazines. Finally, pack extra loaded speed loaders (400-round capacity type) in your pack.

Remember that you will be humping over rocky terrain through dense forest for at least 2km to your objective. I say 2km because one uses terrain and cover to move and never a straight line.

Ten guerilla fighters with only a primary gun and chest rig can outmanuever 50 loaded-down soldiers.

Think LIGHT! Fight HARD!
Robert "Robman" Manore
Berget 7 - Milo's Tigers, Spec Ops
Berget 8 - Poldavian 15th PSYOPS, Intel Officer
Berget 9 - Town Elder, Townspeople of Janco
Berget 10 - Commander, NAF 9th Recon & Sniper

I.Kullberg
Corporal
Corporal

Post by I.Kullberg » 01 Apr 2011, 11:51

Robman wrote: - Small 1-day pack with 1-liter drinking bladder (Camelback). A 3-day pack is too large.
I think that only one litre is not enough. At B7 my 3 liter bladder was allways empty when i got a chance to resupply.

I would allso say that if you're fit enough to use that good looking (and heavy) gear, use it. It's pretty unsatisfying if all of us look like a speedball players+backpacks. Test your gear and see if you can wear it walking all day, modify if needed.
B7 SRP engineer
B9 in the Firm/Zansian Black Ops L04/Petro T of Avalon Minerals LTD
B11 GCT HVIU operator/Mineral guy from Avalon Minerals with a suit/Amnesty International guy
B12 GCT IU operator/Shoe polisher guy/Sniper in the tree
B14 NAF B-coy 3rd platoon leader
B15 NAF regular ranger
B16 UPIR ?