Weather & clothing..

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
imothep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by imothep » 15 Dec 2008, 01:20

well the most important hint i can give, even tough i'm not an airsoft veteran, my days in the field with the marines gives me a right to speak still i feel:p

Avoid what we call hate solutions!

when walking, have light clothes under your jacket/rigg, NEVER walk in wool or such warm clothes unless it is extremely cold, when in activity, use something under that will either reflect the sweat away from your body, or soak it up.

training t-shirts made by "Cool-Max" is great for this usage.

and immediately when you stop, put on some warm clothes, even if the stop is only for 10 minutes, this is a solution that works under most conditions, trust me!

-when it comes to gear, and the different types of riggs/vests, consider what type to take!

If you are not used to wear a rigg, consider what type you want, and how much gear you want in it! a chest rigg uses a much smaller area to spread the weight on your shoulders, so if you are not used to wearing a rigg, a vest based rigg would probably be better!

-Customize your gear, when it comes to gear and clothes, there is nothing that actually "fits all" so be sure before berget starts that you have spent some time with your gear, walked some fully kitted up, so you know that everything is in harmony with each other!

-The optimal fluid intake is 0.1 L per 10 minutes ( remember to also get some salt in you, only drinking lots of water will not help alone)

-Never trust on sport drinks with a high value of sugar to keep you up, this will only drain your energy reserves, plan your food before you go out, a mix of nuts and some dark(!) chocolate is very good!

if you mix up the following evenly:

- Peanuts
- Cashew
- pistachio
- Chili nuts(mostly for flavor)
- Dark chocolate

and make plastic Zip-lock bags with 100 gr in each, one bag will in fact keep you going for 24 hours in a escape situation, and is a good energy supply!

That is all for now folks, but if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask;-)

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 15 Dec 2008, 01:54

how did you put warm clothe when you wearing CIRAS or this type of vest (not very handful to put on or to put off)
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

imothep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by imothep » 15 Dec 2008, 18:02

well we used two different solutions, either strip down to your bare chest and throw on some wool, and keep only the wool on during the break, or to have a very warm jacket in your pack with easy access that is big enough to go over all your gear( jacket, rigg etc) and simply put that on when stopping for rest..

If you are having a long pause,(more than 20 mike) you really need to change what you have under the rigg or jacket anyway, to stay dry and warm..

The jacket we used is a system called "JIB" - Jacket in Bag which is a huge, warm jacket, that you could compress down to nothing when leaving it in your pack...
"Sir, the enemy is now at our front, rear, and both right and left, we are surrounded!" "good, now they cant get away from us!"

Berget 7 - ORC

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 15 Dec 2008, 18:08

All great points..But Berget is mid summer...you are not really going to need the winter survival tips ;)
"go to your God like a soldier!"

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 15 Dec 2008, 19:39

I'd say "sweat management" is most important at Berget. I'll get one of those handy, compressable JIB's (Jacket-In-a-Bag) to keep warm in pauses and simply compress it to a ball and stuff it into a vest pocket when needed.
Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

NIN
Berget Crew
Berget Crew

Post by NIN » 15 Dec 2008, 20:42

[quote="Tiger_1"]All great points..But Berget is mid summer...you are not really going to need the winter survival tips ;)[/quote]

We had just a couple of degrees on Berget 5 with heavy rain during the first nigth. We had a couple of cases of hypothermia were players had to be extracted with taxi for safetyreasons.
Churn/HQ Berget 11
Gamemaster Berget 9-10
Head of security Berget 6-8r
GM Spetznas Berget 5
Master SF, Berget 3
Tjetcheny Rebels Berget 2
Project Assistant Berget 1

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

daytime action and nighttime

Post by WhiteAce » 15 Dec 2008, 20:53

Besides that.... the difference between "daytime action heat"
and "Night time (do nothing) cold" is pretty much... So better be prepared!!!

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 15 Dec 2008, 21:57

Well we have also had people who have managed to get hypothermia at non winter games, but mostly becouse they did not take off wet stuff...and instead packt on a jumper over the top. Basic heat regulation and keeping dry allways applys.
What I was thinking about mostly was the "If you stop, put on clothes...winter march drills" You have to work REAL hard to for it to get that cold at berget ;)
"go to your God like a soldier!"

Buckmaster
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Buckmaster » 15 Dec 2008, 23:18

Moiners,

Berget tents are pretty dark inside. Even if it is almost never dark outside during that time of year.

Do not forget to bring a totch/headlight or such. Otherwhise you want find fresh socks, your water, your sweater or the right sleaping bag.

Greetings and have a nice day,

Buckmaster
- Every live counts. Yes, even Yours. -

6-7-8-10-11-12-13-(14)

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 16 Dec 2008, 09:44

imothep wrote:well we used two different solutions, either strip down to your bare chest and throw on some wool, and keep only the wool on during the break, or to have a very warm jacket in your pack with easy access that is big enough to go over all your gear( jacket, rigg etc) and simply put that on when stopping for rest..

If you are having a long pause,(more than 20 mike) you really need to change what you have under the rigg or jacket anyway, to stay dry and warm..

The jacket we used is a system called "JIB" - Jacket in Bag which is a huge, warm jacket, that you could compress down to nothing when leaving it in your pack...
I'm looking into this seems to be nice :) JIP :)

the temperature pass from 20 25°C( if really sunny) during daytime to 8 or less during night time

At B5 I take a sun burn at 9am during washing myself in the sun just after wake up but the night before I was freezing :) (may be 3 or 4 hours before)

so cold weather clothes is really needed after hot day walk and action, you will be tired maybe not eat enough or drink enough so event it's not very cold you will be surely cold ...

and warm clothes help with the moral if you fill good you mood gonna be good too :)
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 16 Dec 2008, 17:22

Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

McKenzie
Newbee
Newbee

Post by McKenzie » 21 Dec 2008, 18:06

This will be my first time Berget and I was wondering if you've got some advise when just being civilian.
As it is probably different from actually playing day and night in the field.

Thanks

Tystnad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tystnad » 21 Dec 2008, 19:25

Not really that different, I suppose. Just make sure to keep warm when cold and down water when its hot. If yer playing as a civilian, just use common sense to make sure that you keep a comfortable temperature and change socks/underwear when they get sweaty. Logic, m8. :wink:

WhiteAce
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by WhiteAce » 21 Dec 2008, 19:32

Correct Tystnad... Don't think there is too much difference besides the colour of the cloths.
Also make sure you are able to take a shirt of when getting warm and make sure you can dress up warm when it's getting cold... And take a decent raincoat!

McKenzie
Newbee
Newbee

Post by McKenzie » 21 Dec 2008, 23:52

Guess I'll have to find myself a decent raincoat than.

Thanks