Weather & clothing..

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
RRP Taksi
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Weather & clothing..

Post by RRP Taksi » 07 Oct 2008, 18:11

Härnösand is on the coast so sudden changes in the weather can occur.

Mostly on Berget we have been lucky with the weather having nice sunny days and breezy cool nights.
However, ive experienced the rainy crappy ones too.
Raingear and spare socks, maybe even spare boots or shoes.

Chem warmers, plastic bags for gear, tarps, extra underwear and so on.
Things that will make you happy on that night patrol when the winds howl and the rain poors..

A €3:- 2x2 tarp can save you from a heap of trouble... :?:
Mmh..

B10 PL.CO 15S,2PL
B4-5-6-7-9 PL/CC (FFF/SRP command foreign and Swed) contact.
OPCR2-3

BlOnDiN
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BlOnDiN » 20 Oct 2008, 22:39

One other important think is you shoes.

This is important to have your feets in good conditions as you will have to walk a lot, in various conditions, on different kind of grounds.

Try to use trecking/mountain/military shoes, with a good tightness at the ankle in order to avoid sprains.

Also test them in advance, in order not to have bad surpises on the field!

To sum up : you must feel comfortable in your shoes as if you were in your home slipper ^^

You might also have to cross some kind of wet area, so a spare pair of shoes might be usefull!

Finally, bring At least one pair of socks per day, and do not forget to pay attention to your feets conditions : examinate them quickly and dry them while chnaging socks may help preventing any inconvenience.
B6- Conrad Merc's
B7- NATO
B8- NAF

HORUS CORP. mercenary company, WE FIGHT TO DUST

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 20 Oct 2008, 23:05

BlOnDiN wrote: Finally, bring At least one pair of socks per day, and do not forget to pay attention to your feets conditions : examinate them quickly and dry them while chnaging socks may help preventing any inconvenience.
Make sure they are good quality socks. You want something better then the average synthetic sport sock.
B4 >>> B17
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

pivo-lasko
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pivo-lasko » 30 Oct 2008, 14:38

my recommendation:
2 sets of uniform, pair of socks for each day and also underwear for each day (sweating, rain,...) and as said before good shoes.

but those who travel by plane (as i have on b5) be careful about the overall weight of the clothing (especially on the return trip beacuse of sweaty clothes ).
berget veteran

B5, B7, B8, B9

Eldoriath
Captain
Captain

Post by Eldoriath » 08 Nov 2008, 14:17

To avoid sores on your poor feet, wear two pair of socks no matter how hot it is. This will create less friction on you feet and move it to the socks. Also, a good way to dry wet socks is to twist out most of the water and then hang them inside your trousers along your thighs. It will not dry them completely, but being able to change from soaked socks to merely very damp is a big different.

Also, never have anything made out of cotton nearest the skin if you are cold. Cotton sucks up moist which will get you even more cold. Wool is what you want closest to the body since it leads away the moist to outer clothing, that is preferably made out of something that attracts moist, like cotton. This is exactly the way that goretex work. It keeps you warm when the weather is cold.
B5. Russia.
OC2. Militia.
B6. NATO, Bravo coy, 3rd Plt commander
B7. Milos tigers, Sibiria coy, 3rd Plt commander
B8. Poldavian Psy-Ops, Plt commander
B9. UN, Coy commander

Bulldog-IL
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bulldog-IL » 17 Nov 2008, 00:40

In extreme cooled conditions, or even if you're going to Cross through shallow water a nylon or plastic bag between the 2 pair of socks will make a big difference, the outer pair might get wet, but the inner pair (as long as the bag want have holes in it) will stay dry and worm.

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 17 Nov 2008, 01:03

Some good ideas here, however, anyone taking this advice remeber that two low quality socks are no better then 1 low quality sock. Cotton socks are no good for keeping your feet in good conditions.

One of the best things I have tried is a polypropylene sock as a liner, this both wicks moisture away and stops water getting in, followed by a good quality woolen hiking sock. Whenever you get a chance, air your feet out. If you feet get wet, get them dry ASAP.

This will be worth more to your game then anything else you buy. If you can't walk you can't fight.
B4 >>> B17
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 17 Nov 2008, 01:49

- no cotton every where on the skin.

- choose for your underwear clothes like under-amour clothes nylon anti moisture clothes you can find in sports shop. and two changes per day.

- good socks at least two pairs per day. you may wear two pairs on the same times to avoid scratch. But I didn't recommend that. I used to do that but at the the end it change nothing

- Good shoes, walking shoes are the best, military shoes it depend on what type, special forces uses walking shoes instead of military shoes (and it's not because of the footprint they leave).

- take rain clothes and warm clothes. (Swedish warm military clothes are awesome, someone give me some for B6, never cold).

- eat whenever you can, drink all the time even if you are doing nothing. it will be useful when on action you can't drink or eat. And you avoid muscle problem and dehydration problem.

- take a cold weather sleeping bag. I use USMC modular sleeping bag system (2 different sleeping bag and 1 gore tex bivy you can assemble regarding the weather).

- if you are a smoker take a lot of cigarettes, and a portable ashtray you can empty on garbage collectors. The Swedish are welcoming you on their forest do not void them with this.

- have in you backpack a small first aid kit, water, energy bar, socks and underwear.

- small camping kit (healer, and stuff) where you can boil water for noodles or dehydrate food.

I think I have more things to tell but I think other people will longer the list.
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

devilsbreath
Corporal
Corporal

Post by devilsbreath » 21 Nov 2008, 10:47

Just a quick one on socks. I used these last year and they saved me.

http://www.1000mile.co.uk/1000milesocks_sports.htm
Berget 6: NATO India 1
Berget 7: Wouldn?t you like to know

Buckmaster
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Buckmaster » 21 Nov 2008, 13:27

Moiners,
pivo-lasko wrote:my recommendation:
2 sets of uniform, pair of socks for each day and also underwear for each day (sweating, rain,...) and as said before good shoes.

but those who travel by plane (as i have on b5) be careful about the overall weight of the clothing (especially on the return trip beacuse of sweaty clothes ).
@those who plan to Fly to B7: Declare over luggage as "Sports gear" this helps to prevent disappointment at the Check In. Check this with the Airline at the booking.

Have Fun,

Buckmaster[/quote]
- Every live counts. Yes, even Yours. -

6-7-8-10-11-12-13-(14)

conger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by conger » 03 Dec 2008, 16:27

The socks thing already highlighted well by kjsaw .... go back and re-read it 'cos it's really vital.

Once the feet are well taken of, consider your fitness and now's the time to do something about it. Fitness is the biggest difference between having just a good event and really enjoying an event such as Berget.

Really ask yourself if you need that piece of kit. Dead weight kills. Common sense needs to rule here and if you expect you could get wet, be prepared for that.

Keep clean and dry clothing specifically for sleeping.

Manmade fibers really work well particualy in the sweaty areas and better then wool which can irritate.

As for Berget specific advice, I thank all you vets for your advise and suggestions.

Good Hunting

OttoK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by OttoK » 04 Dec 2008, 23:34

I would also recommend the use of long sleeved underwear for evening / night and a neck-warmer/scarf. Although it is summer it can get somewhat cold. Another thing: always hang your wet or moist clothes to dry when you are not using them.
B5 - FFF Squad Leader
B6 - SRP Squad Leader
B7 - SRP Squad Leader

So remember, lose talk cost respawns!

STUNTMAN
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by STUNTMAN » 06 Dec 2008, 02:03

OttoK wrote:I would also recommend the use of long sleeved underwear for evening / night and a neck-warmer/scarf. Although it is summer it can get somewhat cold. Another thing: always hang your wet or moist clothes to dry when you are not using them.
True, true!!!

http://www.hostileoperationsteam.org/ga ... G_8182.JPG

Ninja style!!!

STUNTMAN
BERGET VETERAN:

B5 - Allied Forces - Mech Brigd Echo Coy.
B6 - Nato Forces - Mech Brigd Foxtrot Coy
B7 - Nato Forces - Foxtrot Coy.
B8 - NAF 23rd - Foxtrot Coy
B9 - NAF 6th -Foxtrot Coy
B11 - GCT Taskforce SIDU - Foxtrot Coy

motorhead
Captain
Captain

Post by motorhead » 06 Dec 2008, 02:53

Oi, Stunt'. That's the kinda underwear I use (also for motorcycle riding) - just be sure it's the wool type. Why? Doesn'nt get smelly & minging as fast as artificial fibre materials. Don't ask how I know that ;-)
Motörhead, SBA, Norway
B6: NATO, Oscar COY, 3rd PLT, 3rd squad
B7: NATO S6 - smoke signal operator
B8: Pol. 3rd Mount. S6/Liaison - ditto
B9: Pol. 3rd Mount. Com dude - ditto
B10: On leave
B11: Hot Dog

Nihil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Nihil » 07 Dec 2008, 15:33

I used ski socks last year, and they were great!

they are "thermal" so they keep you warm, dry fast, and they are padded in the areas your foot makes contact with the ski boot- which also helps in a normal boot.