Speaking english

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
running+sizzor
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by running+sizzor » 14 Jan 2010, 14:02

NL_Lexxie wrote:
Tiger_1 wrote:Dont really see the point in going on about this. If you do not speak or understand english, you are breaking the rules of the game. So you should not be there!
Totaly agree!!
No point in discussing this here.... the people who don't speak or understand english aren't reading this forum. It's those that can that might want to take a look at their teammates.... Still most participants for this year have already bought their tickets, good luck with forcing them to take english classes in the next few months or taking away their berget tickets.

Every team should consider if they can handle the Berget requirements just as every individual player should do this for himself and motivate eachother to be able to meet the requirements before the event.
Du kanna har h?lsningarna fr?n brabant
Polly soldier: "I suppose that if it rains really hard, Berget crew will pauze the game for a few hours up to a day."

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 14 Jan 2010, 14:14

I think it´s up to BE to make the rule more important in the future. Then everybody can bann the non-speaking players...

With this cind of interrest of BE, they don´t need to bring non-speaking players in the future... Where-ever they come from!!
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

pivo-lasko
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pivo-lasko » 14 Jan 2010, 15:49

you cant just ban people cuzz of not-speaking english...

however in my opinion commanders must speak english (from SL to BC). its simple as that.

regarding friendly fire from behind: it shows lack of information so PCs should perform their job adequatly

thats my opinion
berget veteran

B5, B7, B8, B9

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 14 Jan 2010, 15:57

But if someone comes to berget and cant speak english they can get in troublesome situations...

EX. i see someone sitting up in the woods, hes form the other team and i shout "Are you Hit", beacuse i dont se a wounded flag, and the player does not answer me, then i would keep aiming and ask 2 times moore and if no answer is heard what should i do? i cant turn away cause i risk being shot if ge/she is ingame... then the obvious would be to fire a single shot hust to be sure. but then that player could get angry, but HEY HE NO SPEAK ENGLISH....

*the above is only an example, not a demonstration of how i would do it

This is the kind of situations that could be avoided by people speaking English.
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 14 Jan 2010, 16:00

At B7 one of my coy commanders appointed a translater because his English, as he said was not that good. After two, three tries to translate, the poor translater had a nervous breakdown (no joke !) :( and that was that. A reasonable command of the English language is absolutely essencial to be able in taking part at berget.
If English is not your strength, stick close to someone who can.
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B7 Batallion CO Milo´s Tigers
B8 Batallion CO NAF 5th Infantry
B9. Batallion CO NAF 1st Mech
B10 R&R
B11 lets see
War is the continuation of politics by other means. (Klausewitz)

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 14 Jan 2010, 16:05

ALMOST everybody can speak "bad" english, and that is enough! I´m against banning players, but the rules has to be followed!
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

MrMedic
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by MrMedic » 08 Feb 2010, 08:59

At B7 there were a lot of russians whose English was on the same level as my Russian (wich happens to consist of a total vocabulary of :"Hello, vodka , machinegun, Attack!").The ORC HQ worked hard on this problem and appointed translators to the commanders of Non-russian speaking units.

Whilst not 100% perfect I think that it worked surprisingly well. I for one really enjoyed playing with the russians and would hate to see them barred from Berget for linguistical reasons alone.

I understand the importance of being able to communicate in case of an emergency but perhaps it is possible to handle such communications without the need to ban anyone who doesnt come from a country where english is taught to everyone at school?

Pictograms? Designated translators on squad level? Force everyone else to learn Russian?

I dunno, but banning such a large and fun to play with group seems a shame to me.
__________________Play Hard - Play Safe - Play Fair__________________
- B6 Merc - B7 Merc - B8 Merc - B9 UN - B10 ZBG - B11 Merc- B12 Merc-
____________________________6mm.se____________________________

vardemis
Major
Major

Post by vardemis » 08 Feb 2010, 16:29

MrMedic wrote:At B7 there were a lot of russians whose English was on the same level as my Russian (wich happens to consist of a total vocabulary of :"Hello, vodka , machinegun, Attack!").The ORC HQ worked hard on this problem and appointed translators to the commanders of Non-russian speaking units.

Whilst not 100% perfect I think that it worked surprisingly well. I for one really enjoyed playing with the russians and would hate to see them barred from Berget for linguistical reasons alone.

I understand the importance of being able to communicate in case of an emergency but perhaps it is possible to handle such communications without the need to ban anyone who doesnt come from a country where english is taught to everyone at school?

Pictograms? Designated translators on squad level? Force everyone else to learn Russian?

I dunno, but banning such a large and fun to play with group seems a shame to me.
At B6 I played with MrMedic and a bunch of hell friendly and good swedish player and the whole thing was in swedish for a matter of time and understandable matter but the 3 french with them just ask to be explain in the large line what to do by the XO (aka MrMedic) in english or in the little french he spokes and we had a great event :)

so english is a necessary things but without a good one you can have a reaaly great event :) that was fun because I was trying to understand swedish (a pain in my ass, it look likes german but It's not german not at all only when you heard swedish far away with the wind lol )

so a basic english is required but if you have someone in your squad that speack english give him the radio, bring him with you to translate the orders and go on :p

It think at least one english spoken person per squad is the minimal requirement

bannishing bad english people will take out one of the saviour of Berget :(

there's a lot of fun to put a assault with multi national player with gesture, sign, ground writing ... that was fun for me :p

the best requirement is the good will the players to do there best :p
berget5 Allied
berget6 Conrad's Mercs
berget7 car accident :(
berget8 NAF 3rd ranger
berget9 Money problem
Berget10 : NAF 3rd Ranger : Colossus Zero

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Crapgame » 08 Feb 2010, 18:59

Of course alot can be solved with goodwill and translation or even by pictagrams, but if some guy dont know english and i scream at him to stop shooting...he wont...cause he doesent understand me....

so all players who are going to berget and dont spek english is a safety/security issue themselves.

there is so many examples i could give but why not a real injurie scenario...
imagine 20 players(10 on each side) and none of them speak english... what do they do if someone breaks a leg or gets a sharp stick trough the arm.

who will contact BE crew, sound for game off, call for ambulans, talk to the swedish paramedics???
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

Buckmaster
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Buckmaster » 08 Feb 2010, 21:18

Moiners,
Crapgame wrote:Of course alot can be solved with goodwill and translation or even by pictagrams, but if some guy dont know english and i scream at him to stop shooting...he wont...cause he doesent understand me....

so all players who are going to berget and dont spek english is a safety/security issue themselves.

there is so many examples i could give but why not a real injurie scenario...
imagine 20 players(10 on each side) and none of them speak english... what do they do if someone breaks a leg or gets a sharp stick trough the arm.

who will contact BE crew, sound for game off, call for ambulans, talk to the swedish paramedics???
You are damn right Crappy! Also, more than a glance of english should be there.

The only thing that can get over that inconvenience, is speeking swedish.

Have fun,

BM
- Every live counts. Yes, even Yours. -

6-7-8-10-11-12-13-(14)

freno
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by freno » 10 Feb 2010, 10:59

Here is a citation from BE in Rule-section:

"NOTE!
To attend to Berget games you need to be able to make yourself understood and undestand basic english. Please try to improve your basic english berfore going to the game."

If not the crew will make a fuzz of non-englishspeaking players, i will not either...!
I probably will speak some swedish during the game also!!! :-D
B5 - B12 Yes!
B13 - Mr. PINK
B14 - BBB - V.President
B15 - MIA
B16 - B17 Bartender
B18 - Crow

Smacker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Smacker » 04 Apr 2010, 14:44

yeah i do remember b7 as an hardship with the spoken words.

but as i sat with them and talked to them they did understand. thats probebly just becouse i had a cool temper and really took it easy when speaking to them.

and oberlix. your temper was an intresting aspekt in milos. quite fun when you where angrey all the time. :P

in short: When speaking with ppl with a lowe english understanding. take it easy and do not get angrey. Its not easy to understand a person thats goes hyper during the talk.
B5 - Russia
B6 - GCM
B7 - Milos Tigers
B8 - Pol Recon
B9 - Pol Mnt Recon
B10- Pol Psy-ops

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 04 Apr 2010, 23:39

[quote="Smacker"]

and oberlix. your temper was an intresting aspekt in milos. quite fun when you where angrey all the time. :P

Well Smacker,
If you can´t stand the heat, don´t get into the fire ! :)
Sorry but I can´t stand weenies ! :P
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B10 R&R
B11 lets see

Wandall
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Wandall » 27 Apr 2010, 16:51

Simple solutions for simple things, those who wish to be squad leaders or any higher non- or comissioned officers should have an english language test of some sort, containing simple written and reading tasks and possibly a bit harder listening test. Or these test would get slightly harder with the rank. Thus it's checked that the lead at least copes with english. These tests can be done in written format way before event itself via e-mail or some other sort. Sure it is compleatly possible to cheat through written / reading exam but you could call this cheating as rehearsal towards the game itself. :) Better yet the listening / understanding of spoken english exam can't be cheated that easily and to be honest, who could really be that ignorent as***hole against all other fellow players that would do everything to cheat through such a vital exam to get a position which can not be fullfilled without the tested skill and by knowing how bad the worst case result could be. Since BE so fluently added the test of rules in ticket reserving I can not see any reasons why this test couldn't be executed.

Someone might say this is unfair for those who play officers since the rest... Called say "common soldiers", Don't need to take this exam. For those I'd say this: "Before you open your mouth and start to yap about "fairness" regarding this exam, think twice would you enjoy for instance the mere little list of situations listed in this thread.".

"Everybody needs to know their basic english and to be able to communicate at least on the simplest level of english in order to be able to attend." You might wonder isn't this enough? Why need such a test to bother people with? First let me ask you one question. Can you ever be too sure about what you don't exactly know?

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 27 Apr 2010, 19:17

It´s all very nice speaking perfect English as a leader of some unit but what about the squaddies not understanding a dam thing ? :?
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B10 R&R
B11 lets see