Smoke grenades

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Smoke grenades

Post by vinni » 10 Jan 2013, 19:09

imho, going off-game in the heat of battle to walk up to a fire-safe zone to light up a smoke grenade will adversely affect the game's dynamic aspect rather than help it
it slows down your squad (and thus, your platoon) and brings up issues with rule interpretation when it comes to working out who gets to use the pit

what it CAN be used for though, would be calling in a 'smoke barrage' from HQ, which would be set off by GMs in fire-safe places
that way, smoke screens can be used to assault (or withdraw from) important positions, clear up mexican standoffs, get a convoy through a possible ambush zone, ...
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ
BXVIII: GFM HQ

JudgementDay
Major
Major

Post by JudgementDay » 10 Jan 2013, 20:07

vinni wrote:what it CAN be used for though, would be calling in a 'smoke barrage' from HQ, which would be set off by GMs in fire-safe places
that way, smoke screens can be used to assault (or withdraw from) important positions, clear up mexican standoffs, get a convoy through a possible ambush zone, ...
THAT I would like to see implemented. It's something else to use these artillery points on, and since it's GM-delivered, they can still make sure it's lit safely, and we don't even have to change anything about the rules, since GMs have been using smoke before. The only change is that for the first time, players would be able to direct where they want the smoke to be set.
Been here since B08... :)

warnerfjord
Private
Private

Re: Sv: Smoke grenades

Post by warnerfjord » 11 Jan 2013, 03:07

Not go off game, more to let one from The squad sneakup.

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
Berget 11: GCT SIDU
Berget 12: BP

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Sv: Smoke grenades

Post by vinni » 11 Jan 2013, 12:30

warnerfjord wrote:Not go off game, more to let one from The squad sneakup.
That wouldn't be feasible as fire-safe places would be away from vegetation, which would make the sneaking very difficult, and designated smoke pits would just be subject to camping.
and it would kinda defeat the purpose of masking your advance if you have to get to that point in order to light it up...

The use of smoke pits is a good idea, but I think (and that is my personal opinion, feel free to disagree) it's not a good system to be used by players, but by GM instead.

Tiger_1
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Tiger_1 » 11 Jan 2013, 13:08

I know cars with smoke generators have been used for events here by the game masters, but the cost of such a system is high if I remember the price right. GM laid smoke would be cool, but not really sure it gives a whole lot to the game.
"go to your God like a soldier!"

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 11 Jan 2013, 13:32

I think that a well-placed smoke barrage might make it easier for an assaulting force to break through a bottleneck (the Bunker T-intersection on the old area comes to mind), close in on a well defended position, protect a convoy from ambushes (that one might be a bit cheesy as the smoke could block or weaken the IR signals from BAVS, although I've got no idea how IR signals interact with smoke), provide cover for HVI extraction,... the applications are quite numerous imho.

And it would indeed be really really cool, which is what airsoft is, after all, all about 8)

/edit: it might also be interesting to see if it would affect the player's tendencies to storm into cover at the first sight of a GM with pyros, or if they would maybe rather risk keeping their eyes open.

Ober-Lix
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Ober-Lix » 12 Jan 2013, 11:31

I have nothing against smoke granades ! The use of these is dependant on weather conditions. If you have very strong wind, it has very little use and should it rain in any strength it will only add to confusion. How long do you think it will take the fire brigade to come to the spot in an event like Berget, because the smoke can be seen fare and wide over possible tree tops. Even though police and fire brigade might have been informed, civillians will call in to find out where the fire is.
Is it worth the trouble ? :?
B6 2nd Bat. CO NATO
B7 Batallion CO Milo´s Tigers
B8 Batallion CO NAF 5th Infantry
B9. Batallion CO NAF 1st Mech
B10 R&R
B11 lets see
War is the continuation of politics by other means. (Klausewitz)

Robin-Hood
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Robin-Hood » 15 Jan 2013, 09:09

Adding an option for commanders using artillery to fire an explosive barrage or a smoke barrage. The enemy would probably see BE set up as usual but they wouldn't know if it was smoke or explosive until it went off. Say there was a force hiding outside everyones favourite little village, the commanders of that team could fire smoke at the village and then the force could assault. Would make for some very interesting fights if the smoke coverage was heavy enough I think.
Founder of Scimitar MILSIM Team

Berget History:
  • Berget 9 - Poldavian
    Berget 10 - Poldavian
    Berget 11 - GCT Taskforce

sidewinderxxl
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sidewinderxxl » 15 Jan 2013, 15:25

smoke would be an excellent addition to the game, keeps things interresting and opens up SQL/PLT leaders options for maneuvers etc
B10 : Poldavian 15th Sappers

B11: SIDU

B12: PMC Operator - Team Leader of sorts