gear...

Share your Berget "know-how" and what is necessary to be prepared for when going to Berget-games.
Pampers
Corporal
Corporal

gear...

Post by Pampers » 09 Nov 2012, 02:38

What is the ONE piece of kit that saved your ass during previous berget-events?
(except mosquito repellent, that one is obvious)

And what is the most useless piece of kit u humped along with in field.
B11 GCT
B12 UNISEC
B14 IKAROS Rangers
B15 NAF INF

Crapgame
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Re: gear...

Post by Crapgame » 09 Nov 2012, 08:19

WetWipes! a real lifesaver, use them when you go to the shiter, use them when you ned to wash of in the morning or evening, use them when cooking eating to clean your hands….USE THEM!

useless? all the cool/fake stuff thats only there for show…Don't Carry shit along that you don't really have any use for, its just dead weight. okay it might be cool to have what the super/delta/seal/SF forces have but serious…would they carry stuff they don't need?

if you have Real plates in your PC or plastic ones filled with heavy material….loose them unless you have trained walking with them. Most airsofters don workout with those kind of weights strapped to them…real life military do.
B5: Allied
B6: Nato
B7: Nato HQ
B8: Poldavian 3rd QRF
B9: Poldavian 5th
B10: Poldavian 15th Sappers
B11: Blood Raven HQ
B12: Yuri Orlov Mercs QRF
B13: Ikaros Mech
B14: NAF Mech
B15: NAF Mech
B16: NAF Mech
B18: GCT Mech
Swedish & Finnish: living/working in Finland

Hazardous
Captain
Captain

Post by Hazardous » 09 Nov 2012, 13:53

Last berget (B10) the thing that saved my whole teams ass was a towel!
Due to the heavy rain last year, it was crucial to strip down and wipe yourself dry, in fact, it was a god damn health risk if you didn't get yourself dry!

-Personal health goes before the game my good people.
-Drink plenty of water, even if it poors down from the skyes. A hydration bladder will do the job for you and can be put in a backpack or molle carrier.
-Keep yourself dry when you return to camp, a mission can wait.
-Consume som kind of food, you'll make it long on the adrenaline but you need to support it. Eat even if you'r not hungry and try to avoid shuger.
-To avoid wear and tear on you'r feet, I strongly recommend to by technical socks. You can find them for about 40€ a set. Just change them every morning or when you get wet.
-Avoid extra weight, remove poutches and backpacks if you really don't need them. I for example found myself carrying 3 poutches that I didn't use one time.

I hope som of this is helpfull!
Cheers! :P
-Mike
B8: NAF 3rd Ranger
B9: NAF 3rd Ranger - PlSgt
B10: NAF 3rd Ranger - PlSgt
B11: Head of Rico's bodyguards
B12: Blood Raven - 2IC
B13: IKAROS Cerberus - 2IC
B14: Arrival of my first born
B15: UPIR Command
B16: Merc

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 09 Nov 2012, 14:21

mine was a pertex jacket

My team and I were stuck out in the field during the heavy rainfall and although we were all soaked to the core, that pertex saved my bacon, it kept me warm for hours. Amazing piece of kit if you ask me.

Also, +1 to everything Hazardous said
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ
BXVIII: GFM HQ

Sallinen
Private
Private

Post by Sallinen » 09 Nov 2012, 15:00

Good old wool trousers that I used when sleeping. After the rainy night it took me 5 minutes to realise I was sleeping knee deep in a pool of water because I didnt feel cold at all.
Also wool socks were excellent. I didnt get a single blister in the whole event thanks to good shoes(Jalas M05) and wool socks that kept my feet dry. They did smell terrible after the event though.

Also, mosquito repellant? I didnt use any and hardly noticed any mosquitoes during the whole event.

Hawkins
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hawkins » 09 Nov 2012, 22:23

Test your gear extensively before coming. If you buy something new, like boots, vest etc, a few weeks before Berget, I would recommend against it. Test the setup you will be using for the duration of the event. It is different to carry it for a few hours during weekend games than for a complete three days. Depending on the unit you are in, you will be walking, a lot. Actually, everyone walks, other than the Mech guys. Good boots are a must and do bring an extra pair if at all possible. Change socks daily and I would recommend using two pairs at one time. A thinner sock close to your skin and a thicker one on top of that, if your boots allow it (they should, IMHO).

Gore-tex or a poncho! It WILL RAIN! It has during every Berget I have been to at least. :D

As well what the others said before me. Keep it light. Exercise before Berget if you feel that you are not fit, and even if you feel you are fit. It never hurt anybody, especially you. :)

And, the most important piece of "gear" you can bring; open and happy mind! It's a game after all, and we are all having fun there. :)
B9 - B17
The Footsoldier

Pampers
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pampers » 09 Nov 2012, 23:25

yeah i get all that.... i am ex military so i know all that... i was thinking more airsoft specific.
i rather bring to much and don't need it, but i am not going to bring a shitload of dummy NVG's, peq4's and grenades.
but maby plates and helmet for comfort :D
Last edited by Pampers on 10 Nov 2012, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
B11 GCT
B12 UNISEC
B14 IKAROS Rangers
B15 NAF INF

Sgt._Shaw
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sgt._Shaw » 10 Nov 2012, 00:56

For the more "Airsoft-concerned" part:
- if you have got more than 1 rifle- BRING IT! you never know....
- some tools for repairs (spare parts if you have got some- but you can also get some from other players or buy them in safe-zone)
- a spare Speedloader (last time i lost 2! one broke and the other just got... away)
- enough batteries for your gun(s) to play at least a day ----- or enough gas for all days :wink:

... i bet i forgot something important, but for now that's it.

AND: don't forget your ammo :D
Berget 10: NAF 2nd Mech- Scout/Bv 206-Crew (Odin coy)
Berget 11: GCT Mechanized, Direwolf 1 - RATELO (D-1-2)
Berget 12: PMC Mechanized, Lockpick, Bv-206 RATELO and 2IC
Berget 13: GCT Mechanized, Lockpick-Coy: 2IC and RATELO
Berget 15: UPIR Heavy Mechanized, PBV Mech-Inf, AT and 2IC

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 10 Nov 2012, 01:01

Hawkins wrote:Gore-tex or a poncho! It WILL RAIN! It has during every Berget I have been to at least. :D
You weren't at Berget 7, I take it :wink:
On that note; bring some sunblock, on the off chance we get that kind of weather again you'd burn to a crisp without it.

Purely airsoft related (as ex-mil you probably know all the rest):
Extra batteries, don't count on always being able to recharge.
That goes for your radio and stuff like helmet cams too.

And bring a back up AEG. Your Berget Experience would kinda suck if your primary went down the first day, wouldn't it?

Also, I was happy to have an umbrella with me up in the turret when it started raining. Umbrellas are way classier than ponchos.
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Pampers
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pampers » 10 Nov 2012, 02:25

Panzergraf wrote: Purely airsoft related (as ex-mil you probably know all the rest):
Extra batteries, don't count on always being able to recharge.
That goes for your radio and stuff like helmet cams too.
yeah about radio... what is most common? PMR's? Puxing maby?
B11 GCT
B12 UNISEC
B14 IKAROS Rangers
B15 NAF INF

Hawkins
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hawkins » 10 Nov 2012, 06:11

Panzergraf wrote:
Hawkins wrote:Gore-tex or a poncho! It WILL RAIN! It has during every Berget I have been to at least. :D
You weren't at Berget 7, I take it :wink:
Unfortunately no! :) I have heard it was the "only" Berget that it has not rained, and that it was fairly hot? These summers up here are unpredictable...
B9 - B17
The Footsoldier

Robin-Hood
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Robin-Hood » 10 Nov 2012, 07:29

Good boots.
Such as an important piece of gear, you won't have fun without it.

(eyepro doesn't need to be mentioned)
Founder of Scimitar MILSIM Team

Berget History:
  • Berget 9 - Poldavian
    Berget 10 - Poldavian
    Berget 11 - GCT Taskforce

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 10 Nov 2012, 07:54

Hawkins wrote:Unfortunately no! :) I have heard it was the "only" Berget that it has not rained, and that it was fairly hot? These summers up here are unpredictable...
30C and sunny all week. All of us Scandinavians were struggling with the heat while the southern guys from Italy and such were zipping around.

Pampers wrote: yeah about radio... what is most common? PMR's? Puxing maby?
Yes, 446 PMR's (the Puxing is a PMR, though the high power means it's technically illegal in both Sweden and Norway).
Get one of the Cobras that run on AAA's, and have a spare pack of batteries with you. As a normal squad member you won't be doing that much talking (too much traffic will just jam up the net), but it's nice being able to listen to the platoon coms.
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Fly
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fly » 10 Nov 2012, 10:54

I see a lot of comments about wet weather.
When trekking I will wash my clothing beforehand in a waterproof solution, for example Nikwax.
Also when playing airsoft in spring and fall I do that to the uniforms and it will help to keep you dry from the occasional rainfall and dew.
Raingear is still needed, but for the occasional drip the waterproofing helps a lot.

Waterproofing your boots will also help, be it with special waterproofing solutions or, when using leather boots, regualar wax will also keep the feet dry and happy.
Berget 12 - UNISEC DM/Sniper
Berget 13 - CERBERUS RECON & SABOTAGE
Berget 14 - UPIR Shadows (HQ security)
Berget 15 - UPIR Shadows ( cancelled due to personal reasons )
Opa, the combat machine

vinni
Colonel
Colonel

Post by vinni » 10 Nov 2012, 12:26

Pampers wrote:yeah about radio... what is most common? PMR's? Puxing maby?
Puxing is indeed the most used radio i've seen, BE issues the PX888 for HQ use
Fly wrote:I see a lot of comments about wet weather.
When trekking I will wash my clothing beforehand in a waterproof solution, for example Nikwax.
Also when playing airsoft in spring and fall I do that to the uniforms and it will help to keep you dry from the occasional rainfall and dew.
Raingear is still needed, but for the occasional drip the waterproofing helps a lot.

Waterproofing your boots will also help, be it with special waterproofing solutions or, when using leather boots, regualar wax will also keep the feet dry and happy.
Like you said, it is indeed good for the occasional drip, but don't let that fool you. The only time I saw a measly drip was on B6, on B8 to B10 the skies opened up real good when it rained.

I would also recommend a pair of extra boots in case your feet get soaked (even with the waterproofing, it can happen). Doesn't have to be the same high-tech boots you usually wear but just worn in and preferably comfortable. Dry feet are awesome :P
B6: NATO
B7: Orlov Corp
B8: Poldavian III Mntrs
B9: Poldavian III Mntrs
BX: Poldavian BRF
BXI: Blood Raven Recon
BXII: Blood Raven CO
BXIII: Cerberus BAT CO
BXIV: UPIR Senior Management
BXV: UPIR HQ resident cripple
BXVI: UPIR old fart
BXVII: GFM HQ