Berget Radios

Feedback e debriefings from Berget 8.

How did this years HQ radios work? Battery lifespan, signalrange etc?

They worked good, battery lasted long and signal was ok!
23%
They where ok, battery ok, but more repeaters is needed.
54%
No it did not work, you need better stuff for next year!
23%

Total votes: 61

Berget-events
Berget Crew & Site Admin
Berget Crew & Site Admin

Berget Radios

Post by Berget-events » 22 Jun 2010, 09:46

How did this years radios work? Battery lifespan, signalrange etc?
Berget-events

Please send general questions to:
info@berget-events.com

Please send payment questions to:
payment@berget-events.com

Zargor
Newbee
Newbee

Post by Zargor » 22 Jun 2010, 09:56

I was the radioman for NAF 5th Btn 1st Coy and the radio was useless as soon as we moved around 1 km from the base, got only static most of the time.

Next year I'll be informing myself to give the company a Clansman radio set/s but need to see if it is permitted in Sweden (they operate on military bands).
Zargor, NAF 5th Btn 1st Coy 2nd Plt
Medic, Radioman, Interpreter and candy dispenser

Duijvenbode
Private
Private

Post by Duijvenbode » 22 Jun 2010, 12:16

Also a very irritating thing was after a moment of inactivity the radio would shut down. Not handy when you need artillery support once you really need it.

:?
Berget5 - Spetsnaz (HOORRAAHH)
Berget8 - NAF 5th Infantry Batallion - 4th COY CO (Buzzard Company)

" Just Remember, when everybody is shooting, shoot in the same direction.."

ReconProG
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by ReconProG » 22 Jun 2010, 12:28

I was a Plt. CO at 3rd Ranger. I didn't get a BE provided radio but had to work with some of those.

The radios were OK in terms of range and battery lifespan.
However, there was one major problem - they were software locked and couldn't be operated well. I wasn't able to manually find the frequencies of my own Battalion's channels because I couldn't access the radio's menu. Thank god a bloke from the Czech Platoon had a radio that could scan both frequencies and CTCSS tones so we were able to find the exact freq/tone setting for the channels. Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to run Coy and Bn. Comms at all. I understand the reasons to completely lock the radios. However, BE crew should have at least provided a list of frequencies and CTCSS tones for the respective channels so we'd be able to set up our own radios properly.

There was also some compatibility issue between my platoon radios and the BE crew provided ones - only static both ways - neither could we receive the BE radios nor could they receive us. Both were PX-888's and set up in the exact same way so this remains a mystery to me...
In the end I had to provide my Coy CO with one of my own radios so we could run comms properly.
If at first you don't succeed, try again with an airstrike.
------------
JTF - Bulgaria
Berget 8 - NAF 3rd Ranger Bn., Dust Coy, Bravo Platoon

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 22 Jun 2010, 12:40

i have'nt had any trouble with the radios, i used one PLT radio PX-777 and the one provided from BE Crew.

Good Radio, Good Batteries, Good enough Range.
B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne
B10 - NAF 23rd Infantry Battalion
B11 - Taliban Tea Shop Owner
B12 - Taliban Inc.
--------------------
http://www.progear.ro

kjsaw
Berget Master Trustee
Berget Master Trustee

Post by kjsaw » 22 Jun 2010, 13:44

Battery life was good (actually really good). Range was fine as long as you did not have a hill between you and those you wanted to talk to, which happened frequently for me, so working repeaters would have helped.

Using the "scrambler mode" on the BE issued radios meant trouble for those who wanted to integrate their own radios to the channel plan. Easy enough to solve if you know how to turn the scrambler off, but that means everyone else also needs to turn it off.
B4 >>> B17
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

alecu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by alecu » 22 Jun 2010, 13:47

from my point of view, if there where to many radios on the battalion line, it would crack the hell out of the command, as everybody would spam, not use the ptt corectly and so on....

lets face it, the radio is not for everybody.

my 2 cents
B7 - NATO
B8 - NAF 23
B9 - NAF 6th Airborne
B10 - NAF 23rd Infantry Battalion
B11 - Taliban Tea Shop Owner
B12 - Taliban Inc.
--------------------
http://www.progear.ro

Losolos
Major
Major

Post by Losolos » 22 Jun 2010, 14:00

radios was crap .. we use our own and own frequencies.

why not put the programming file online or a frequency plan ?
we make a com plan with 10 channels and at least Poldavia gets 13 channels at all ??

next time please 5-10 LPD channels for every Unit and make it public at least
1 month before gamstart !

and involve the com officers in that procedure so they can manage problems with other radios on site / woxung , 777 or other

i need no repeater or something else when i can not reach HQ i use my cellphone with telia card :D
B5-B17 on duty
B18 yellow Crow

55nilsson
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 55nilsson » 22 Jun 2010, 14:33

My problem was that even though the radio screen said locked (or showed the key) It still changed channels when I moved around...

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 22 Jun 2010, 15:19

Yeah, we had that problem too with our platoon-radio.

I have several puxing radios like that myself, and I have no problems getting those to lock.
The BE radio we got was somehow different though; we couldn't lock it no matter what we did.
I would have brought my own Puxings and some charged batteries if I knew this was the type of radio BE would use, that way our Battalion would have had more comms.

We only used this radio for our Battalion-net.
For internal platoon-comms we used normal PMR's, and we had the PRR to use as a personal radio within the squad.
This way it worked quite well :)
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Arbiterman
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Arbiterman » 22 Jun 2010, 16:30

The first station we've got for our russian coy wasn't good at all at transmiting. It's possible that it was misprogrammed for lower TX-level or set to power-saving TX, but most likely it was something wrong with hardware.

After replacement it was all good until I lost it at the finall attack near 23 NAF. Fortunately it was found by someone who passed it to BE HQ. Thank you man!

The only thing that was annoying is the lack of working lock button becouse it's hard to track the moment when channel got accidentally rotated.

My opinion is that station is really good and the repeaters worked out very well. We've been to every part of the game area and RX/RX was always good. Li-Ion 1200mA/h was pretty large and I think there are batteries of the higher capacities made in the same case.

Redmenace_tv
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Redmenace_tv » 22 Jun 2010, 16:35

Used the radio alot as Security officer, the only trouble i had was the range of the transmissions didn't allow us to contact more far flung units.
(TOM)
Berget 8 - NAF 5th Staff Officer
Berget 9 - 2IC NAF 1st Mech battalion
Berget 10 -2IC NAF 23rd Inf Battalion
Berget 11 -AWOL
Berget 12 - AWOL
Berget 13 - ?

Panzergraf
Major
Major

Post by Panzergraf » 22 Jun 2010, 16:37

Yeah, you can get 1600mAh batteries for these radios, and they last a bit longer.
Veteran of 12 Berget Games
B6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
B18 - Red Mech

Walking is for plebs.

Gryffyd
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Gryffyd » 22 Jun 2010, 17:05

ReconProG wrote:I was a Plt. CO at 3rd Ranger. I didn't get a BE provided radio but had to work with some of those.

The radios were OK in terms of range and battery lifespan.
However, there was one major problem - they were software locked and couldn't be operated well. I wasn't able to manually find the frequencies of my own Battalion's channels because I couldn't access the radio's menu. Thank god a bloke from the Czech Platoon had a radio that could scan both frequencies and CTCSS tones so we were able to find the exact freq/tone setting for the channels. Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to run Coy and Bn. Comms at all. I understand the reasons to completely lock the radios. However, BE crew should have at least provided a list of frequencies and CTCSS tones for the respective channels so we'd be able to set up our own radios properly.

There was also some compatibility issue between my platoon radios and the BE crew provided ones - only static both ways - neither could we receive the BE radios nor could they receive us. Both were PX-888's and set up in the exact same way so this remains a mystery to me...
In the end I had to provide my Coy CO with one of my own radios so we could run comms properly.
+1

Some of our guys did not take the Berget radio as they had the same type and thought it un-necessary, then not being able to communicate because we couldn't get the frequencies was extremely annoying.
Gryffyd
Mystery Coy. CO
NAF 3rd Rangers.
Berget 8

Arbiterman
Berget Trustee
Berget Trustee

Post by Arbiterman » 22 Jun 2010, 18:14

Some of our guys did not take the Berget radio as they had the same type and thought it un-necessary, then not being able to communicate because we couldn't get the frequencies was extremely annoying.
Our HQ (1st Poldavian) had the list of all freq/ctcss codes designated by BE for our battalion. Actually all the battalion commanders should have received it. So you better ask your superior why he made you that "extremely annoyed".